Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hurrying to refinish cedar deck

Posted by brickhouse (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 12, 09 at 16:59

I have read and read and am still so confused.

Here's what we are working with:
HUGE cedar deck, looked great (and stained) when we moved in a year ago.
Husband deployed, I did my best, but some things went without proper maintenance.

Deck looks horrible now, raised grain, splits, graying.
We flipped the boards, tightened everything, replaced some.
The plan is to sand and then treat.

My main question is with what?
We live in the Pac NW, in the high desert, we get snow and 300 days of sun a year. Deck is uncovered.
What product should I use?
Is it a one step process or do we stain AND seal? There is a lot of conflicting information out there.
We just want a good product that will protect our deck.

Also, we are already seeing overnight freezing temps, daytime temps are in the 60's is it already too late?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hurrying to refinish cedar deck

We stained then used Thompson's water seal. Not sure what temp you need to seal though.

o
RE: hurrying to refinish cedar deck

We live in the same area and are having the exact same dilema. When we first moved in two years ago the deck looked nice but we realized it was freshly painted. I don't know what kind of paint they used but it blistered and peeled back and it's a mess. The deck faces southwest and during the summer it's basically an inferno without the gazebo we bought.

But today, we're just going to go to ACE hardware and ask for their advice since they live in the same area. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here