Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
22 year old redwood deck

Posted by juliaannscott (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 16:03

We have a 1400 sq ft redwood deck around our house. Have used penofin oil, silver and blue can every 2 - 3 years for the last twelve years. I have always done it myself but this year I had a professional look at it to do and he wants to charge $2400 to clean and oil! He is insistent that all the black needs to come out..... I don't care about the looks of the black but is it hurting my deck? I would just wash it with water , nozzle, and oil. He wants to use soap, power wash ect. Then oil. All I want is to protect my deck, I'm not trying to make it bright and pretty! Maybe all the black color impregnated in the wood is helping to preserve it?? The wood is in pretty good shape...
Should I worry about getting all the black out or not...
Please help,
Thank you,
Julia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 22 year old redwood deck

Has it ever been sanded?!?!

My construction-heart RW deck is 16y/o, & I've sanded the floor twice, & steps removed THREE times and sanded.

It still looks very good!

Faron

o

Thank you Faron!
No, I have never sanded it because I don't want to lose any of the thickness as it is supposed my lifetime, about 30 - 40 more years.........never know.....
Anyway I just need to know how clean do I need to get it before I oil it again??? Is just washing well with water enough or do I Need to use chemicals? I don't mind the color.
Thank you everybody that reads this:-)
Julia

o

Redwood is fairly soft so power washing could be damaging if not done carefully. The black stain, if not surface mold, is a reaction of the redwood rot-resisting chemicals with water, and probably permeates the wood, at least in streaks so washing isn't going to remove it all. I recall the black stain being resistant to oxalic acid, so bleaching it may not work either. Sanding can brighten up the wood, so long as it isn't overdone trying to get all the stain out.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here