Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help getting purple bird dropping stains off my cedar deck

Posted by bjturner27 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 15:45

I'm really hoping somebody can offer me some guidance.

We just finished our cedar deck here in southern Ontario and days later it's covered in purple bird droppings.

I power washed it as soon as possible to try to keep them from staining but some of them didn't come off. I only used water and no soap of any kind as I wasn't sure what would be good idea to use.

I was going to wait to stain until next spring because it's really not warm enough right now to do it. My understanding is that I need some relatively warm days on a constant basis. It's been warmer than normal here but not enough I don't think.

Can anyone recommend a cleaner that I can use to get these stains off?
And if and when I do get it cleaned, is there some sort of product I can apply that will help protect the wood from more stains penetrating it? I want to stain it next year so I didn't think I could put anything else on it until I do that.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help getting purple bird dropping stains off my cedar deck

It's really easy TIA.

Keep those damm purple birds away !!! Install a Yellow plastic Owl up high on a stick. Frank Zappa did this around his Cabin worked great for Him. He told me about it at the Filmore West during a break.

The Dude even did a song about it.

I got the purple bird blues from my head to my shoes
They shittt on my deck all day long they even do it when I snoozze.

I dident put the finish on cause I had to wait, now I got the thing looking like a broken grease Crate

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa I got the purple bird Bluessssssssss

Major Hit in the 60s

JonMon Total yucking it up

o

that sounds simple enough but I encourage the birds to come to my yard.
I have several bird feeders.

and it's not the birds that are purple. It's their droppings from eating the berries in the neighbours' trees.

o

Now that there is Funny,no matter where you live

No hope for Ya BJT. You intice birds your going to get the End result.

J.

o

ah.....thanks so much for your um...help.

anybody with some advice that would be slightly more helpful?

o

You really were Serious !!!

For crying out loud BJ ,how do you think geting bird poop off a deck is going to happen ??? Your going to scrub it off with a brush,soap,and hot water.

With finish or with out Finish if you intice birds to your deck the scrubing is going to be an on going thing.

J.

o

once again thanks for your help but I wouldn't have asked the question if it was that easy.

I already tried that and still have the stains.

please don't bother posting if you don't have something helpful for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here