Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galanwarner_gw

TWP Color Recommendations for Ipe?

galanwarner
12 years ago

I'm going to be finishing my ipe deck, first stripping off an old coat of clear sealer that looks awful and then applying brightener, both with Restore-a-Deck. I plan to use TWP for the preservative, and I've seen recommendations of TWP116 for the shade, but I've also seen warnings that it can be too red for some people's taste. I'm concerned about that because the porch has ipe for its deck, but it also has a beam structure above it and shingles around it that are stained brown. I'm concerned about the deck of it being too red and clashing with the beams and shingles. Any thoughts/recommendations on other TWP shades that may give the ipe a browner look while still showing off the grain? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Comments (18)

• john_hyatt
    12 years ago

Using the 100 series a mixture of cedar tone natural and dark oak two parts dark oak three parts cedar tone makes for a nice brown color.

JonMon

• galanwarner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, John! Much appreciated.

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

Or just straight-up dark oak. That's what I used with my garapa and it turned out a beautiful non-red brown.

• galanwarner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Weedy! So you're talking about the TWP 103, I assume? And with it that dark, it still shows the grain okay?

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

You be the judge....

• galanwarner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awesome, Weedy, thanks for sharing! Now, is a second coat the difference between the background and left-foreground sections? The back one appears so much darker, or was that just the way it appears in the light? If the back had a second coat, how long was it in between? Anyway, it looks terrific -- that rich, rich brown. Beautiful work. I'd be thrilled to see whatever other pics you may be willing to share that depict the color/tone well. Thanks again.

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

Yep, clockwise from lower right: bare, one coat, two coats (same day application: wet on wet).

A couple more:

• galanwarner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing.

• john_hyatt
    12 years ago

Nice to see your work again Weed.

One thing that is Garapa not ipe so it started out much lighter than ipe. Just a thought.

John

• galanwarner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah, I wondered about that, in looking at the unfinished portions in the pics. So I can assume my ipe would turn out darker then.

• galanwarner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

John, you've talked about wet-on-wet application, and Weedy, I believe that's what you said you did as well. What's the proper way to do that? How long should I generally wait between coats if that's what I want to do (understanding the weather can play a role)?

• john_hyatt
    12 years ago

The second coat can go on when the first coat is dry enough to walk on. It's the same as any other coats you put on. The more coats the longer it takes to set up.

There is no time period, it can be an hour or a year.
    J.

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

The directions on the paint can say do it 15 minutes later, and I did them right after each other on the original stain.

I'm doing a re-coat now (2 years after original) and did one coat Monday and will do 2nd coat tomorrow. Not real happy with how it's turning out so far, but won't hijack your thread to ask about that.

• galanwarner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is interesting to see, good information. So, Weed, you're saying that what you put on two years ago was TWP as well? One reason I'm still thinking about going lighter is that things like shoe tracks shouldn't be as noticeable, so I wouldn't feel compelled to mop it as often.

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

I did TWP on the decking and One Time on the pergola. An interesting thing about the TWP was that the footprint dirt didn't really wash off. When it rained, the deck was absolutely beautiful. But when it was dry it looked like it needed to be hosed off. Not horrible, but just a little scuffy. Don't know if my description is helping any, but I didn't take any close-up pics to illustrate.

I just posted new pics in my "2 years later" post. Would appreciate help there.

• galanwarner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, the TWP question was settled by the fact that they don't ship to California ... so that's out.

• john_hyatt
    12 years ago

Cal wont allow shipement of the 100 series however the water base twp Storm Shield can be sent any place in the world.
    J.

• galanwarner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank, John. Do you feel it handles ipe as well as the 100 Series or other alternatives?