Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crosspost from flooring-for unheated sunporch over heated bsmt?

Posted by scrappy25 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 14:51

I posted this in Flooring, but realized that it might be more appropriate here.

I am adding an unheated "sunporch" with vinyl windows that are easily converted to a screened porch (easily removeable windows). This will be over a heated basement area. I don't envision water getting on the floor in this design. Would porcelain tile flooring be the way to go and would and special membranes need to be laid underneath to ensure stability? I was also thinking of a floating luxury vinyl as I have read that there has been some success with that in unheated vacation homes. Any suggestions or experience?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crosspost from flooring-for unheated sunporch over heated bsm

If tile is your flooring of ultimate choice, an underlayment is necessary. I would recommend this product from Schulter:

http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx

I have done many installs, never an issue.

o

thank you. can you explain to me why ditra is important in this application is it for waterproofing or movement? How much does it add per sf for materials and installation?

o

Ditra is mainly used to mediate the possible movement of tile which could result in cracking and failures. Basically, it is a de-coupling membrane. Ditra, when used with its sister product Kerdi, would provide a water proof membrane structure. This is accomplished by installing the ditra and then overlapping the joints by 3".

I don't work for Schluter, by the way. :) I have used it in over 20 bathroom and kitchen installs and have never had an issue.

Read more here: http://www.schluter.com/2080.aspx

Prices vary, but, I find it indispensable when I consider my "peace of mind" in finished installations. It's not cheap, but, I wouldn't do a job without it.

Now, given the fact that you don't expect and water to get on the floor, adding the kerdi for waterproofing purposes is probably unnecessary.

o

ok, got it, thank you! great advice, appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here