Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace chase flashing

Posted by kwerk (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 29, 10 at 14:35

I am framing a deck around a cantilevered fireplace chase. The old deck ledger was attached to the chase, which I have removed so there is no siding there, only sheathing. I am going to frame around the chase as in the picture below so there will be no new ledger attached on the chase.

What kind of flashing should I use around the chase behind the deck frame (behind the header and trimmer joists)? It needs to be something that wont break if it's poked with a stick or kicked by kids, is UV proof, and won't corrode from the ACQ treated wood. It will be exposed for a few inches above decking level.

I am thinking about starting it 6" behind the ledger on left then wrap a single piece around the chase and end it 6" behind the ledger on the other side. Then of course put more flashing over the top of the ledger.

But how should it be fastened? Can I nail it on with stainless steel nails and caulk over the heads? Or glue it on? There will be a vycor backup flashing behind.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace chase flashing

Flashing is typically nailed on. The nail heads are then typically concealled by the next course of material. The top most piece of metal flashing gets tucked behind the siding and vapor barrier, thus concealling the nail heads. If you are flashing to brick, finish it off with counterflashing, which has a special lip that gets mortared between the bricks.

o
RE: Fireplace chase flashing

The chase has siding not brick. I think I will use some vinyl stuff called Duraflash and lap it like you said.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here