Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phronesis_gw

Fence height?

Phronesis
9 years ago

I'm trying to decide between an 8' or 6' fence. With a variance I can get an 8' fence if my neighbors are amenable and I think all will be. It's going to be horizontal slats looking like what's below.

The purpose of the fence, aside from generally improving the look from chainlink, is to prevent my German Shepherd from barking (or at least frightening) the people who walk by with their dogs to the park that's a block away (my house is on a corner so this is a fence for the backyard facing the street). My yard is on a hill so the top of an 8' fence will be probably the same height or lower than the top of the 4' fence that's parallel to it on the other side of the yard.

And, from my back porch I'd still be able to, easily, see and be seen, over an 8' fence.

I'd been thinking 8' would be good in terms of all that's above, but now I'm starting to worry that it's going to look, from the street, more like a wooden wall than a nice fence. I am going to go out and create some sort of marker so I can get a visual, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (3)