Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs & Floor of Screen Porch?

Posted by les_bailey (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 12:09

Hello. We're planning a new construction in the Mid-Atlantic region (VA), and plan to have a wonderful screened porch on the back off the family room. Woods & pastures are nearby, so am sure we'll have lots of mosquitoes & such trying to worm their way in.

Plans for the floor specify "composite decking", which make sense as the floor will be maybe 3' off ground level. Never having had the luxury of planning something like this, I'd like to catch any issues in the planning stage of course.

DH and I are wondering - will mosquitoes seek us out and be able to come up under the deck, through the decking board spaces for us? If Yes, and if you have experience with a solution, please share. Just seems like having a floor full of spaces kinda defeats the point of having the screen.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs & Floor of Screen Porch?

I really hate mosquitoes !

With out some kind of protection the little dickens will deffentley get in thru the gaps required by composite decking.

The protection could be solid skirting with screen vents installed to provide cross ventalation also required for any decking. J.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here