Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenora11

Deck sanding

kenora11
9 years ago

I am going back to a transparent deck stain from a semi-transparent. I have power washed and sanded but there is still a noticeable build up of old stain on the side of the deck boards which is visible when you look between in the gaps between the boards (which in the case of my deck are not evenly spaced, ugh!). Any recommendations on how to best remove it?

Comments (9)

• jackfre
    9 years ago

You could try an abrasive on a thin grinder, but it would be a miserable job and, having spent a lot of time with grinders, I would say it won't be the safest job to do. Gloves, eye protection etc a must. You could run a router down the seam but you will remove a little bit of material. Again, safety is the issue here. A multi tool with abrasives might do too. I have the Fein MT. I say it is the one tool I can't afford to use except in extreme need. The blades and abrasives are serious dough and do not last.

Just a suggestions, but imagine how pretty the contrast of the seams with the face of the boards will be!

• kenora11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree. I tried using an orbiter sander and putting it on its edge but you are right, not pleasant plus it cannot get down into the narrower cracks.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

I wouldn't mess with removal. I'd just redo the face of the boards and let the seams be what they are.

Your only other real choice is to use a new stain that matches the stuff you can't get off.

Pick the lesser of the evils.

• nerdyshopper
    9 years ago

Why not try a strong paint remover. Just smear it on and wait a couple hours and smear it off. Works with paint and should remove stain. A little steel wool to rub would be even more effective. Wear solvent proof gloves.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Oscillating tool with a sanding pad attachment for the wide gaps.

Emory cloth for the tight ones if you can get under the deck and must work alone. Stick the cloth down between the cracks and then back up through another (down one side of the board and up through on the other side) then pull the cloth back and forth as you move along the board. If you have a helper. They can pull down while you pull back up working along the edge of the board.

This post was edited by hippy on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 13:17

• kenora11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried, repeatedly with stain remover, but with no luck.

Oscillating tool could work, depending on the width of that attachment. I tried an attachment to my drill but it chewed up the wood too much.

• nerdyshopper
    9 years ago

If you want to sand, I once went to a tool rental place and got an orbital, flat floor sander. The paper and fiber pads it used were pretty expensive, but I did a 12X70 deck in a day. I would not consider a drum floor sander. Too easy to scallop.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Nerdy
    He/she is wants to remove the stain on the sides of the boards between the cracks. Not an easy task without pulling the decking up so that you can easily get to the edges.

• nerdyshopper
    9 years ago

Then I still think they should use a powerful PAINT remover not stain remover. A good paint remover will soften many layers of paint of any type. The chemicals are strong enough to burn skin so neoprene rubber gloves are needed. They have those at Lowes and I believe the remover too, if government regulations still let it be sold. I have used many brands, mostly gels that you apply then use steel wool or scrapers to remove paint. Stain should be duck soup.