Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweet11395

Follow up to TWP #516 (second coat results)

sweet11395
17 years ago

sorry for the repost but this got buried on the other thread which had 42+ replies.....

Well,

For those of you who were reluctant and willing to give up on TWP #516 in favor of TWP 116 or god forbid another non-TWP product...I ahve good news...as one can see from my previous post I mentioned I was overly cautious in applying only ONE coat of TWP #516 to my IPE deck which weathered for one complete year and was treated with pressurepros RAD system.....I should have considered my deck "old" wood not "new" wood (can states one coat for new wood).....you can check out the NEW pics here where I applied TWO coats of TWP #516 to a hip wall planter....and you can see the rich deep color Jon Hyatt talks about....some important differences I noted from the previously stained deck

1. First coat was hand rubbed on and second coat applied with a brush (deck was single coat with lambswool applicator and not much "working in" - ie went over the area 2-3 times because wood really soaked it in)

2. Deck only had barely 26 hrs to cure in 90 degree heat before we had sizable rain....planter had over a week at 75 degrees before rain

The planter has not faded at all to my perception and brings out the deep rich hues of the IPE ....pictures can be seen at the link below...hip wall planter pics towards the end and represent two coats....

John you the mon!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: TWP#516 two coat application on second page

Comments (12)

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

You the Mon Sweet, thats one good project you did and testing out the 516 lets us all know what to use if the green mafia has outlawed the 116. No reason to use anything else. John

• mjh5
    17 years ago

Sweet,

Was the planter finished at the same time as your deck, or done more recently? The finish certainly is good looking.
    It will be interested to see how long the twp #516 holds up on the deck once you put the second coat on. One would expect the finish to last much longer on the planter, which has mostly vertical surfaces, than on decking.

Still waiting for John to post pictures of his deck with multiple coats of TWP.
    Marty

• sweet11395
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marty,

In #2 in my post you'll see that the deck and planter were finished seperately....deck on a 90 degree day with rain 26hrs after application and the planter on a 75 degree day with over a week before rain occured....I agree with you that the vertical surfaces will wear slower....that is why I took the picture of the horizontal/top portion of the planter to get a more fair comparision....that is the picture titled "TWP_1_vs_2".....I too am looking forward to seeing how it all wears and next spring will put the second coat on the deck (too cold to do it now...down in the 50's and 40's at night)

Jon mon,
    thanks and not sure if it was the difference but rubbing it in like shoe polish and brushing the second coat as you suggested seems to have got the penetration and "soaking" it needed....I truly believe that I went TOO light on the application as well as too little pressure/multiple passes on the pad-on-a-pole applicator when doing the deck.

• sweet11395
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well it been almost a year since the deck and planter had the TWP#516 applied and I am sad to say that it hasn't performed to my expectations....as you recall the deck had one coat of TWP516 (only 24hrs before light rain) and lasted about 2 months before considerable fading...the hip wall planter was hand rubbed andwith wet on wet application and allowed to dry in the garage before attaching....this lasted a little longer but by mid summer this year had faded considerably :( Althought the TWP116 Jon uses may perform admirably I have to say my personal experience with the reformulated #516 is not up to the test...the deck is as if I had not ever applied any TWP....so now I think its time to step up to the plate pressurepros! I'm gonna give your Woodxotic a go....I'll be placing an order this week and see if its results are any better....sorry Jon I tried the #516 and it just didnt't perform and I can't get #116 here in NJ :(

Look for my order Ken...my apologies that I never got down to Philly and have a beer with you to talk chemistry and pulp science....maybe this fall when I start traveling down there on weekends.

I'll try and post pics when I get home tonight but they will look like a completely unfinished deck that has weathered a year:(

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

Hi Ya Sweet!!! Intersting give me a call sometime you probley will have to leave a message on the biz line but I get back pretty quick.

I do a build coat thing with twp stuff the first coat or for that matter the wet on wet thing wont last all that long with twp or most any other finish but the material is still in there usually I just clean and put the next one on. With a new project like yours I would do a light acid wash before the next coat.

Hey both those types of twp are working for me still. I say go for it with Ken's stuff!! I must be living in some kind of a bubble over here using twp but Im not about to stick a pin in it. J.

• dooer
    16 years ago

Sweet, where did you get those hinges for your cabinet?

Mark

• alb1k
    16 years ago

Sweet, you're going to love the Woodzotic.

• mjh5
    16 years ago

Sweet,

Thanks for posting your followup. I hope you will do the same with Woodzotic, showing us how it looks, and how much fading occurs, over time.

Marty

• sweet11395
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mark (aka dooer)...I had those hinges custom made by a blacksmith (David of FisherForge- www.fisherforge.com ) over in Pennsylvania.

Glad to hear both are working for you Jon mon! I just thought the vertical surfaces that dried and had the multiple coats would last much longer than it did :(

Matry- I will definitely put up before, after pics and a "long term" follow up months or a year afterward.

Thanks for everyone's help on this board!

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

You know me Sweetster if its not broke dont fix it.

One thing the Ken had a twp guy on deck while coming up with that stuff, you could try his brightner/acid wash then in a little test area put the VoDo / zoitc right on top. This might save you a messy step.

Just a thought. J.

• sweet11395
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jon mon,
    yeah I agree if it aint broke and works for you don't change!...just wish I could have got #116 here instead of the #516 (d*mn greenies!!!)....yeah I'll try your idea and being late in the season I am going to do a few tests on the smaller (8X8) lower deck and then take what works best and do that on the whole thing next spring I think...

• cj_8_jim
    13 years ago

Just be forewarned, TWP 116 (low VOC version of TWP 516 -- both named rustic oak) looks like redwood... not oak.

Unfortunately, I have 2 unused 5 gallon containers of TWP116 (I'm in the Chicago suburbs).

Let me know if anyone is interested in buying it from me (click on my user name in this post and then click "send me an email").

If I could do it over on my Ipe deck, I'd use TWP 120 Pecan.

Jim