Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
YAY !!! We have wood!

Posted by linda117 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 10:30

After waiting 5 weeks for Jatoba, we finally decided to go with Tigerwood just to get this thing finished before winter sets in. Tigerwood arrived yesterday (3 days from the time we switched). The wood feels like it has a waxy finish? Anyone familiar with this? It leaves me a little worried about how to put the UV protectant on it. Should I scrub it first, use the oxalic solution, or just leaf blow it and go? My other question is, does the wood stop changing colors once the UV goes on, or should I wait until its the color I like then put the UV on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: YAY !!! We have wood!

Not sure about the waxy thing,in fact not understanding that at all.
There is no need for any prep on any new S American lumber.

Dont wait for anything but good weather to put the finish on. Let the lumber do what it wants to do, work with it not against it. J.

o

:( It looks like the weather is not going to cooperate with us.Its just getting too cold to put the finish on the wood this year. The finishing is going to have to go thru the winter before we can do anything about it.(Northeast,very cold and snow) Since it will no longer be "new wood", what steps do I need to take 6 months from now to put the finish on it?

o

If it grays out an oxalic acid wash,scrubing, when it dries put on the finish. J.

o

Thanks John. You're a big help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here