Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to clean Ipe porch stained with Woodrich

Posted by lmgch (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 10:15

Our newly constructed Ipe porch (covered) was stained about two months ago by our contractor with Woodrich Wiping Stain in Amaretto, at our request.

I do not think he did a great job applying the stain - it looked very splotchy and very shiny in certain areas. He called the Woodrich support line and they told him he had over applied and to keep wiping it down.

He did that and it looked better, but I think we've still got a problem of excess - my daughter was crawling on the porch last weekend and ended up ruining her leggings - they're covered in what i can only imagine is stain.

I want to clean the floor of the porch b/c we've had a tremendous amount of foot traffic due to many different projects going on. And also b/c I think there's still too much stain on there.

Can anyone advise me on what to use and how to clean?

Many thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to clean Ipe porch stained with Woodrich

It definitely seems like the Contractor used to much and / or didn't wipe off any excess after applying. Unfortunately the only way to get it off now is to sand it off. I would recommend using a floor sander if it's a large porch or if smaller use a orbital sander by hand. If it's a standard spaced deck and not Tongue and Grooved be sure to get in between the boards as best you can.

Another UN-confirmed way (unconfirmed by me at least) would be to use a Deck Cleaner and Brightener like Messmers offers. I'm just not sure how well it would work, it's usually used to clean off the graying of faded material.

o
RE: How to clean Ipe porch stained with Woodrich

---Update to my previous post---

I had a conversation today about your very issue, turns out I was not fully educated on the subject. HD-80 from woodrich will clean off excess stain application. If I'm correct East Teak in SC is a supplier of Woodrich www.eastteak.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here