Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splats

Total Confusion Over Patio Slab

splats
10 years ago

We just bought a house built in 1992. The backyard patio slab was poured at that time and is in excellent condition, with no cracks or uneven settling. The problem is the surface is weather and badly stained because the slab was dug-in so the slab top is level with ground. when it rains water sits on it and does not quickly run off. We are estimating the slab is 3-4 inches thick. This is in Mississippi, it is WET, rains all the time. Wooden decks are very high maintenance and they all look like crap after 10 years or so.

I'm getting so much conflicting information i'm at a total loss. I wanted to pour a new slab on top of the old one to raise the level, also have it stained. But I've been told can't pour a slab on top of old slab because it will settle and/or crack. I DO NOT want any cracks other than the ones I may get in the stress lines or whatever you call them.

I also could put pavers on the slab. But I've also gotten all kinds of excuses why I can't do that!

I know I can tile the old patio because I did it in our old house and it looks gorgeous. But I really want that second slab or pavers.

Question: if you have poured a slab or put pavers on top of an old slab could you please comment.