Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srubik

IPE deck Skirting

srubik
12 years ago

I'm nearly complete putting my IPE decking down, and was planning on using vertical 5/4"x6" decking for the skirt. I got a really great deal on 5/4"x6" shorts which is why I'm using such a thick board for the skirt (it was actually a lot cheaper than buying 1"x6" boards). After working with IPE, I'm now second guessing my decision. IPE is very heavy, and I'm worried that if I attach the skirt to my rim joist it will add a great deal of additional stress to the frame. The deck is attached to my house on two sides, and I was planning on installing the skirting in the front and attaching it to the rim joist. The front is approximately 5' off the ground, and is 25' is length. If I do the math, and assuming 75 lbs per cubic feet for IPE, I come up with about 750 lbs (give or take). That seems like a lot of weight to hang off the rim joist. Does anyone know of a better way to hang vertical IPE deck skirting, or would the rim joist hold 750lbs of IPE if I attach it that way? Since the weight is spread over the 25', maybe it's not a big deal? Thanks for all the help!

Comment (1)