Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Advise on stairs leading to front porch.

Posted by sandrop329 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 20, 09 at 9:25

We're in the process of building our first home. One of our "little" surprises after clearing the land was that we were going to need quite a bit of blocks & would add a lot of height to the front of our house.

We're getting to the point that we'll need to get started on the steps leading up to the front porch. But we need advise on economical ways of doing this (especially since the extra blocks and concrete are putting us dangerously close to over budget). We were wondering if wooden stairs could be a viable option, or should stick with concrete? Would wooden stairs look alright? Will regular lumber do for painted stairs?

Below is a picture of the house. The approximate distance from the porch to the ground in front of the door is about 6'- 6.5' The final grade on the lawn has not been done yet and we're planning on adding a bit more dirt there in the front.

Any and all advise welcome & wanted. TIA!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Advise on stairs leading to front porch.

Use ground contact preasure treated wood for an outside staircase.Painting standard framing lumber will shorten its service life.

The foundation of any stairway,creet or wood, should land on solid,not backfill. J.

o
RE: Need Advice on stairs leading to front porch.

Thanks for the advice on the pressure treated wood, and on making sure the foundation is on solid ground. Very helpful, though I'm sure that our subcontractor would have informed us of this :) I'm just gathering as much information as I can to present my husband with when I talk to him about stair ideas.

Do you think that wood stairs are the best option? Will it look nice? Is it more economical than concrete?

More opinions greatly appreciated!!!!

o

Depending on the detail wood stairway is less than creet. J.

o

What will the exterior of your home be made from (brick, siding, etc.)? What's the style of the exterior? It looks like you'll have a porch with columns as well...what kind of columns and what flooring on the porch?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here