Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randomuser_gw

LVL for main supports?

randomuser
13 years ago

I want to build an L shaped deck and the wide part will span 21 feet. Do I need to use two smaller boards for this span or can I use 21foot LVLs. It will have multiple supports (and be attached to the house) but I'm hoping I can use 21' LVLs as opposed to two 11' boards for each run.

Comments (16)

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Glue Lams are not rated for areas exposed to the weather, like the frame of a deck. J.

• dennisgli
    13 years ago

Huh - I had a deck built a couple years ago that has two LVL beams supporting it.

• cj_8_jim
    13 years ago

LVL is available for exterior use and in some situtations even for ground contact use.

BUT it depends on your application whether LVL will meet your exterior needs.

American Pole & Timber distributes pressure-treated LVL -- I've heard good things from co-workers about the company.

I would be interested in your experience with their LVL for exterior use should you go with them.

Contact them with your specific application at: http://www.americanpoleandtimber.com/contact.shtml

Jim

• cj_8_jim
    13 years ago

P.S. Rosboro sells a "Rosboro Treated Glulam" specifically designed for supporting decks and other weather-exposed applications.

This may be the best solution.

• dennisgli
    13 years ago

Mine were Parallam brand - I think it's from Weyerhauser.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Intersting. I have a email coming from the poleand timber outfit.

Its one thing to treat beams and poles but a whole different thing to guarentee ground contact with a composite product. This I will be happy to see in print.

Treating framing members to support roof covered projects is also very different than framing under an uncovered deck. J.

• dennisgli
    13 years ago

Warranty for iLevelî Trus Joistî Parallamî Plus psl Composite Lumber Products

Here is a link that might be useful: Warranty for iLe vel® Trus Joist® Parallam® Plus psl Composite Lumber Products

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Now that is intersting. Thanks Denni !!

Treated to the core with cca that should do it although if they do fail there is no labor costs they will just drop the replacement at the job site.

Still working on the span charts. J.

• cj_8_jim
    13 years ago

As I said above...

Rosboro sells a "Rosboro Treated Glulam" specifically designed for supporting decks and other weather-exposed applications.

This may be the best solution.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

I got a return email from Rodney Strawn,Am Post and timber.
    He does not recomend LUV for ground contact. J.

• deckman22
    13 years ago

I can't say that I've used lvl's for deck beams but, I have seen them used by other contractors. On elevated decks they should be fine, just be sure to put some sort of moisture barrior on the top of the lvl.

Ground level decks would be a no no far as lvl's go.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Now that I look at the composite glue lams no matter how much cca they pumped into them there is no way I would use them on a low,say 3' and under, deck. Even higher than that would be a gamble. J.

• addadeck
    13 years ago

Alaskan Yellow Cedar is the hardest known Cedar in the World and can be made into Glue Lam Beams. Put the rubber Deck Protector on top and it will last. Not sure on ground contact, I use these up the air.

• addadeck
    13 years ago

*up in the air*

• borisswort
    13 years ago

Don't listen to that idiot John. He has been telling people on here for years not to use glulams. I used the Rosboro Treated Glulam 5 years ago and have been very happy with it. It was recommended by the structural engineer who designed my deck.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

I am just saying what the man told me. Take it or leave it.

Belive me if they seemed to be the right thing I would use them real quick. J.