Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imsum1

???opinions about cost (a bit lengthy)

sum1
14 years ago

I realize that it's not possible to exact this but can an experienced builder try to ball park this , actually just verify or dispell an argument for me.

We are having a front covered porch put on our 26x42 ranch style home

the porch will be 8x20, then jog in to 6' for a remaining 20' all total, 40' across but half 8' and half 6',the roof will tie into our roof, and will break the roof line a bit with 2 different overhangs, we will have a gable roof over the entry to also deflect a straight roof, with a 6' wide opening and stairs, a second set of stairs will be on the 8' side providing an opening to the driveway, and there will be what the builder reffered to as a "boston"style gable there.

the deck is going to be pressure treated, and the railings and posts vinyl colonial style.

the existing gutter will wrap along rooflines and angle back into existing gutter downspout.

all this will cost us 11,000.

my question for those with experience is

this is a reasonable fee correct???

I have faith in this builder, he is competant. but I am hearing that we are being way over charged,

any opinions on this????

thankyou

Comments (9)

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

That price seems way low to me. J.

• sum1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sweet, we know him so maybe he's being generous.
    I am glad to hear your opinionyou made my day
    :)
    thankyou

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

In John's world, it might be low, but you fail to state your area. In one region, that might be a low bid, while in yours, it might be high. Always get more than one estimate, check references as well as that they are covered legally,(license and insured). Best if you can get referalls from freinds/family for legit contractors and always ask to see their work.

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

In any area,not including your strange mind,that is a low bid. J.

• noobs
    14 years ago

"I have faith in this builder, he is competant. but I am hearing that we are being way over charged, "

What do you base this on? Did you get other quotes.

I'm no expert, but it seemed reasonable to me.

If you want "way overcharged", a deck contractor gave me a bid for a single level 450 sq ft deck at ground level, roughly rectangular in shape at $80/sqft.

He gave me an un-totaled list and when I added it up, I asked him if that was $81/sqft. Can't believe he kept a straight face the whole time.

• deckman22
    14 years ago

John's right, that price is low, even here in northern mexico.

Answer this, who is saying the price is high? Please don't say your out of work brother-n-law that says he can do it for about 1/2 that, if you pay everything upfront that is.

• marcinde
    14 years ago

Hang on... so is that $11K to install materials you're purchasing?

• sum1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No... that amount is the end total, and fwiw , I want to retract the original question/ concern.

I have been watching this guy build this for the past couple days and I can tell you he's worth EVERY penny,he's no hack,
    I honestly believe that he is a true craftsman who "needed" to work, not ncessarily for the money but for the sake of his passion. times have been tough for everyone, it can and does affect more than our wallets.
    thankyou for all of your opinions and responses.
    I wish there was an easy way to post pics, as soon as I figure it out I would love to show this off for him.

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

quote" I am hearing that we are being way over charged,
    any opinions on this???? "quote

That price is very fair.

I do a bunch of add on porches to the back of homes on my pool construction projects. My total cost with carpenter/roofer/electrician/painter combined is easily that much before my markup.

Congrats!!!