Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckknh_gw

Procell Composite Decking

ckknh
18 years ago

Has anyone used Procell (PVC) decking? I am replacing my front porch, and want to go with composite decking. (I know, there are many of you that don't like composites, but I do). It seems as though the new wave in composites is all-plastic rather than wood-based. I already have Trex decking, and am mostly satisfied with it, but it DOES require occasional maintenance. I've also seen a product called Weatherbest (HDPE based, I think).

Any experience out there?

Comments (8)

• changingview
    17 years ago

I know it's been a while since your post but am considering Procell for my front porch as well. Did you go with it and if so, how did it work out?
    I have a sample board of the new Fiberon Tropics in front of me and man, it scratches when I just look at it! Too bad because it sure is nice looking.

• ckknh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry for the delayed reply-

I did decide to go with Procell for the front porch, and I'm very pleased with it. I went with Brownstone, and it has the look of a wood deck with solid stain. I also had him use the procell for the vertical parts below deck where lattice used to be - I don't like lattice. He ripped he boards down to a narrower width and installed them vertically. It looks very finished.

The trim is Azak (sp?) and the rail system is also composite, so the deck is now truly maintenance free. That side of the house gets lots of sun, and I haven't noticed any appreciable fading. It also doesn't get too hot to walk on. I would definitely make the same decision again.

• nra4usa
    17 years ago

Procell is probably the nicest syn decking out there. It is the only syn decking made out of PVC. it is lightweigh and hard to scratch. BUT each of the four colors it comes in looks just like vinyl siding! In other words, the stuff does not look like wood. If you can get past the ugly washed out colors then by all means, use it.

• ckknh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I can understand your vinyl siding observation. Installed, Procell looks very much like a wood deck that has been solid-stained. It has a very "clean" appearance - thus your vinyl siding comment.

• Jazz3
    17 years ago

I am confronted with making a decision on replacing a large volume of decking at a shore property in South Jersey. Whatever we do will be gray.

I initially made a decision to use Weatherbest since I installed approx 950 sq ft of it at my primary home which has held up pretty well into it's second season. We used the redwood color and although there is a grey cast in places, and some surface scratching, it has a better overall appearance than other neighbors who built from Timber Tech and Trex. Those brands had much more color shift and uneven discoloration.
    Our contractor in New Jersey just said the local building supply stopped carrying Weatherbest because of complaints of it turning "purple". I have seen this with the darker Timber Tech color but not with the Weatherbest.

Seeking some input (Ken?) on observations of what composites have held up best 5+ years and if you have had any real life experience with ProCell PVC decking. It seems to be more like the AZEK trim material being used all over the beaches than the other more "plastic" decking I have seen (Eon).

Using a wood product at the beach requires more maintenance as the salt air really beats up the material or finish.
    It seems like a routine cleaning of PVC decking and vinyl (composite) rails would be easier.

• Jazz3
    17 years ago

Ken - same question for any of your longer term observations of the PVC composite product Boardwalk.

• deckman22
    17 years ago

jazz3, I would not recommend using th Boardwalk decking. It does not have anti-fungal/mildew agents so it will mold/mildew up in a short time. You only have two color choices, gray or tan & the tan color doesn't look good IMO. It does have some nice qualities, a deep texture, more strength because of the pvc, & has a class 1 fire rating. Lastly it cost too much.

You can get Amerideck in more color choices at a lower cost that is made with pvc, has the class 1 fire rating & does not mold or mildew plus it cost quite a bit less than Procell or Boardwalk. Check it out @ www.buyAmeriDeck.com

Al

• russ231_optonline_net
    14 years ago

Our Procell has faded, stained and looks absolutely horrible. The company does not stand behind the warranty (no maintainance). They have come to clean it twice and I am ready to hire an attorney. $60,000 wasted and I will not let them get away with it.