Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_2008

NOT galvanized nails

debbie_2008
13 years ago

I hired a contractor to do repairs and add ons to my deck. He did NOT use galvanized nails. He doesn't seem to be willing to fix this. The wood will no doubt be ruined when we remove the nails. The deck and ons are all treated lumber. He claims he used "decking" nails. While I don't know what he actually used, I will say they have a brassy looking head.

Since some of them show rust (after 2 weeks) what are my options? Can I countersink them and use a wood filler or caulk? Then add the galvanized nails? Will these nails damage the wood?

I am livid, to say the least.

Comments (7)

• debbie_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I should add, he said he has never heard of any such thing as needing galvanized nails with treated lumber and has been doing this work for years. I'm thinking not.

• dooer
    13 years ago

Debbie, where are you located? Are contractors licensed by the state? If so, there is your option.

All nails in ACQ Pt wood should be hot dipped galvanized or stainless steel.

• aidan_m
    13 years ago

Ask him to provide evidence of bond and insurance. Then hire him to do some work on your roof. When he's up on the roof, call the insurance company to make sure his policy is valid. I think you can figure out how to handle it from there.

• debbie_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My state does not require a contractor to hold a license, but the particular county does. He claims to have one, and I'm thinking about checking that.

The guy is an idiot...The end

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Deb if you can find one get a sticker off the end of the pt lumber used they all have one from the mill. This might give you some insite on what is required. Then get one of the nails and check them out could be they are rated for pt use but when he drove them the coating was damaged resulting in the rust you see. It also Could be the rest of the fastener is still the same.

John Hyatt www.deckmastersllc.com

• debbie_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike and John, thank you....I did get a sticker from one of the boards and read it. In short the idiot did not use the right fasteners and told me he never heard of such a thing. He then changed his tune and said he used the right nails and isn't a "dumb@$$" blah blah blah, I must question that. He did what he calls a fix that was only done to make me happy so he can get more work, but its still wrong. I'm done with the idiot. I will fix it myself and I will tell anybody thinking about hiring him what he did. It is a small lake community and he is trying to get work there. Many homes are being renovated. He will not succeed! He's going to have to find a job that requires him there 8 to 5 and not his 10 to 2 self employment.