Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picking a Color for Concrete

Posted by aloha2009 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 23:53

Though I like some of the dark tans/light browns on the swatches, I've NEVER seen one around town. Could it be that I've never noticed anything besides colors in the red family? Does this have to do with how the sun brings out the red? Does it have to do with how the chemicals react over time? I can't believe everyone picks red as the color of choice if you're coloring concrete.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picking a Color for Concrete

I chose a nice dark brown for a slab in my backyard and it matched the color card perfectly coming from the cement truck. Within a couple weeks after drying and weathering it turned that pink color you are referring to. This was using Davis colors. I have seen some brown concrete driveways in my neighborhood that stayed that way. They have more of a glossy finish, so I guess its possible. Not following the mix ratio can dramatically change the color as well.

o
RE: Picking a Color for Concrete

THANKS SO MUCH!!! You saved me $1000 and having to live with pink concrete.

We ended up cancelling the coloring per your confirmation on the pinking. We too were going to use Davis colors. I'd rather have grey concrete opposed to pink.

As they are pouring our concrete, a neighbor who painted his concrete after the fact 8 years ago, came over and said his turned out great. Only peeled on one 2" strip, otherwise great. We'll definitely get the scoop on what exactly to do (and not do, since he seems to know he had the little bit of peeling).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here