Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dneubecker

What are these called? Make code compliant.

mdln
9 years ago

Disclaimer: NOT my houses, just good pics of what I am talking about.

1 - Anyone know what these - landings that flank the steps - are called?

2 - Any ideas of how to attractively add railings, to make them code compliant?

THANK YOU!

Comments (13)

• emma
    9 years ago

I don't understand the code compliant thing. Do they tell you that you have to have rails. My home would not have had hand rails on steps going up onto the porch or from inside of the garage to the house if I had not asked for them. We had this home built and the inspector was out there almost daily checking the homes.

Flower pots or statues would like on them.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, both village building inspector and my builder said railings are required by code.

While I was initially opposed, after watching my elderly neighbor have difficulty getting down the stairs without a hand rail, I am now in agreement.

Does anyone know what these are called.????

• emma
    9 years ago

I have seen them on older homes here but don't know what you call them. Is the house going to be a rental?

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ EmmaR - not a rental, why do you ask?

Found it! They are ''stepped brick side walls and limestone sills''

• emma
    9 years ago

We don't have codes like that here. It is up to the home owner to make their homes safe. As I said above I had to ask the builder to put in hand rails.

Rental property has different codes, I assume to keep it safe for renters. We had rentals years ago and we had to have smoke detectors in them, our homes did not have to. I am not sure they have to now, but builders put them in the last two homes we had built. I have a friend who is a city inspector and will ask her when/if I see her.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Emma. Interesting. The requirement is from the IRC.

''R311.7.8 Handrails.
    Handrails shall be provided on at least one side of each continuous run of treads or flight with four or more risers.''

Here is a link that might be useful: IRC code

• emma
    9 years ago

Thank you for the info. I always use rails especially at my age, my balance is not so good anymore.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Cheek walls. Google it.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, weedyacres.

Not finding any pics of these stairs with railings. Wish I had an inspiration pic to show my builder. If anyone sees something, please post it.

• emma
    9 years ago

I found this one and the url is below. They are putting the rails on the inside of the cheek walls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rails

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, EmmaR. That is the only thing I could think of, but could not find a picture of it. Again, thank you.

If anyone has another idea, would love to hear/see it.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

I'd put the railings on the steps themselves. The ledges atop the cheek walls would be well-suited for pots of flowers or left empty for kids to jump from one to the other.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

If you google "cheek wall railings" and choose google images, you'll see a few different options.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz