Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do about deck?

Posted by katrina_ellen (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 22:46

I have a small deck in the front of my house, that serves as a porch. The person who lived here before me stained it, and I see where there was some stain, but most of it is worn off. I am seeking advice on what to do to make it look better and preserve it. It is some sort of pressure treated wood, not sure what. Someone said to paint it to improve the look, but I mentioned it to a neighbor and he said don't do it, that it will always peel. I don't want to create a maintenance nightmare, I just want to improve its look. Thank you in advance for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do about deck?

As long as the material is sound without any serious splintering and checking you can either give the deck a wash with oxyacilic acid or a dilute bleach wash to clean the deck and remove any previous finish. You could also just sand it to remove the finish and clean up the surface. From there you need to apply an oil finish. Oils penetrate into the wood and deepen the color and luster. They will also provide a modicum of UV protection while allowing the wood to "breathe" as the seasons change. Do not apply a film finish like paint or polyurethane as this will inevitably crack and peel (like your neighbor said) and end up adding a lot of maintenance.

o

mcilvain, thank you. I'm so glad I mentioned it to my neighbor - I was on the verge of painting it without realizing what I was getting into!!! Can you recommend products that work well? Thanks again for your help.

o

Well we really like Ipe Oil by the DeckWise/IpeClip people as well as Messmers. Then again I have only used them on tropical hardwood decks. I doubt there would be any difference using it on a pressure treated deck if that is indeed what you have. These are hard to get at big box stores though. I have had good experience with Cabot Oils too. Avoid the Thompson's Water Seal line. Expect to pay $60+ a gallon or your are probably getting a lesser product.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here