Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wrap around Steps

Posted by doogan123 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 20:42

Hi folks,

I am taking on a DIY job at my back door next weekend and I need some help for one part of it.

I am adding a little mini deck outside a silding back door -nothing fancy. The door is 6ft - so I am going to put an 7 ft * 3 Ft box up. I am extending it 1 ft to the left of the door which opens, to give a little more room when going in with groceries, etc.

Building code in my town requests railing over 30 Inches. The height to top of platform will be 22" - so no railing required at this time.

I am planning on wraping the steps around the platform since I do not need railings and also its a very active back yard so it makes sense that you can come in from either side ( perception at least)

Here-in lies the problem. I have no problems measuring and calculating the stringers for the 2 short sides and the front. However at both the left and right corners, how do I calculate the corner stringers and attach them to the corner of the platform box?

I have googled the S#*t outta this and cannot come up with anything...

Thanks guys in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wrap around Steps

Since you already know how to calculate stringers, this will be simple:

The corner stringers run at a 45 degree angle to the corner, if it is a 90 degree bend in the stairs. Use double stringers at corners. The rise is equal to your other stringers, but the tread length is 1.414 times greater. When you cut the stringers, cut the risers at a 45 degree bevel from the lines you draw, and alternate bevel directions to make an inside or outside corner.

If it is a long run of stairs, you need to add additional stringers off the corner stringers, running parallel to your regular stringers. It is the same idea as building a hip or valley in a roof.

Good luck!

o
RE: Wrap around Steps

Aidan - Thanks a million. I figured that there must be a simple way to figure this out. its only going to be 3 steps.. so i should get through it. Thanks again!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here