Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using post anchors??

Posted by ekoreilly (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 3, 08 at 20:14

Hey there everyone. I have a deck with 7 posts

and I am looking at ideas on redoing the rails (they were like that when bought)

Ipretty much have settled on doing cedar 2x4's with black baulesters and figuring out a top rail. But it's the posts I am stuck on. THey need to be covered up, thoughts of wrapping them in Cedar or maybe using post anchors; I'd have to cut off the current ones flush and put a new cedar 4x4 in its lace with an anchor. Bad idea?

Here is a link that might be useful: post anchor thought

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using post anchors??

ekoreilly,

Your existing 4x4 posts are probably carriage bolted throught the deck framing below the flooring. If thats the case they are probably very strong and I'd sleeve them with 1 x 6 cedar attached with construction adhesive and on the top shim them level. Cap them.

After that you can use any type of rail you want.

The link showint a way to mount new posts I think is poor.

If you'd like to email me to discuss further, please feel free to do so.

All the best,

The Porchguy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o

Hey porchguy, things slowing down for you? So sleving them is better? ANything wrong with using cedat 1x6? should I miter the corner on those or butt up flat?

Any suggestion on the cap rail? My plan is to go flat across but on the corners I want to do caps (that would be 5 out of the 7 posts) with lights. I see eastteak has some nice rails.

o

anyone have suggestions for a top rail cap? I will be using 2x4 (sideways) for the sub rails with metal balusters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here