Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TWP Garapa Porch Stain

Posted by bhw85 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 19:00

About a year ago, I remodeled my front porch and used Garapa T&G with TWP Pecan stain. Thanks to all the advice I picked up from this site it turned out awesome. After about a year, most of the stain still looks perfect (porch is covered). The edges, however, get hit with some rain and sun so they are starting to fade.

So here comes the question - what do I need to do to keep the porch looking great and prevent the edges from turning gray? Reapply a coat of stain over the whole deck? Oxalic acid scrub and restain?

I'm kind of lost on what the best approach is and I'm afraid of doing more harm than good to it. If any of the experts want to weigh in on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all the advice posted on this site - the porch wouldn't have turned out nearly as good without it.

See pics below. It's hard to see the fading on the picture but the stain is definitely starting to wear out there.

photo porch-floor.jpg

photo porch-edge.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TWP Garapa Porch Stain

I think it goes without saying that your project turned out amazing! What I would recommend is using a deck cleaner and brightener over the entire Porch surface with going a tad heavier on the grayed areas. The graying is a combination of some sun fading along with dirt, pollen, and pollutions in general being "baked" onto the porch itself by the sun. To help prevent it in the future I would recommend hosing off or cleaning the deck fairly regularly to get the pollution off before it bakes in. I'd do this right before the Sun goes down or is done shining on the porch for the day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here