Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdaver_gw

IPE deck - Thank You!

tdaver
13 years ago

I just completed my new IPE deck. It took me all summer (started demo 4/25, stained on 9/6), and I never could have done it without this site. So I just wanted to say thank you to the all the pros for anwering questions and the diy'ers for asking them and posting pics of your progress. From what I can tell this is the #1 source online for IPE deck building info.

Anyhoo... hyatt, brooklyn, deckman, weedy, riles, salmon, and many others that I'm forgetting... THANKS!

[img]http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6628/img4178t.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9581/img4180iq.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7590/img4179c.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4065/img4182n.jpg[/img]

Comments (15)

• tdaver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well that didn't work. let try this.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

Wow ... it's beautiful! Cute model, too!

Great job!

• bigkahuna
    13 years ago

Nicely done. Elegantly simple, looks well done and compliments the house well.

It appears to have a finish on it. If so what did you use ?

• tdaver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the compliments.

@kahuna - TWP Dark Oak #103. The Mrs. and I liked the dark brown color better than the reddish brown of the more widely used Rustic Oak #116.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Nice work. That project will hold the youngen when He brings home the first Babey.

I have been using the dark oak or a mixture for a while now. Thanks Weedster!!! J.

• deckman22
    13 years ago

Darn fine job you did there!

• funyellow
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!! and you went 'above and beyond' with staining the support posts, which looks wonderful. is it just PT or did you wrap the PT with ipe?

• brooklyndecks
    13 years ago

You did good...real good
    Glad to have helped.

steve

• tdaver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@funyellow - The support posts are 6x6 PT, just couldn't stand the site of them under the beautiful Ipe so I stained them to help them blend in. The railing posts are 4x4 Ipe.

• weedyacres
    13 years ago

Very nice! I'd love to see a photo of how you framed your stairs, if you've got one. I contemplated doing some corner stairs but chickened out.

Your photos also make me resolve to stain my PT posts, which are still glaringly yellow.

• tdaver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@weedy - Here's the pic. I treated it with coppper green, thus the color. It took me longer to frame up the stairs then it did to frame the rest of the deck. I used Simpson LSCZ connectors for all of the risers.

{{!gwi}}

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Yo Daver, where did you get the copper green? I understand rustolium is making it now. J.

• tdaver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@hyatt - Only thing I could find locally was Black Flag Termin8 Copper Green at a Home Cheapot. It came in a pump spray bottle. See the link below. I'm sure spraying it on doesn't protect as well as soaking, but it was easy to apply so I sprayed on a couple coats.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Flag Termin-8 Copper Green

• godillos
    13 years ago

Looks amazing! Question about staining the PT posts - what kind of prep (if any) did you do on the PT wood?

I'm thinking about doing the same thing with TWP on PT. Unfortunately, my PT is of the west coast incissor mark variety so they will be fugly even with a good coat of stain.

• tdaver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@godillos - I didn't prep the PT posts at all other than brushing the dirt off. I plan to put some shrubs in around that side of the deck, so I didn't care if it was a perfect stain job or not.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH