Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for short 120v LED rope lights

Posted by Darel (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 18:35

I've been looking all over for LED rope lights in SHORT lengths - like, 4 inches long or so. Nothing bigger than 6 inches. I'd like 120v, and they can be flexible or rigid but I'd like them to be at least approximately the size of a common rope light.

I plan on routing a groove into the undersides of post caps and the edges of steps and epoxying the light strip into the groove, so it's not visible unless you're laying on the ground. The goal is to make the groove as small as possible, so I'd like the diameter to be around 1/4" or so. If I can find this in a 3"-6" length, that would work great for post caps.

Obviously none of the big box stores have them, I've tried looking online and buying bulk by the roll would be awesome, but it seems like the ones I found can't be cut to length (only the DC ones can be cut, not the AC?).

Thanks!
Darel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for short 120v LED rope lights

Why not go with low voltage DC?
then you can use waterproof led strips or modules w/o routing all that wood!!!
I put strip leds(3M adhesive) under my lower rails, low voltage DC, and use a wireless remote for on/off.

fred

o
RE: Looking for short 120v LED rope lights

Either way I'm going to recess them into the wood. I'd just rather work with 120v.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here