Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New House..Existing Deck..Should I do fall maintenance?

Posted by macster (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 18:24

Just moved in and I have a little 10x10 deck on the front of an accessory building in the back yard.
The deck looks good to me, but should I do fall maintenance on it?

Found a can of Sikkens Cetol SRD Translucent in the shed. They probably did it recently for the sale of the house.

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New House..Existing Deck..Should I do fall maintenance?

I'm not familiar with the brand or how to test if the wood needs recoating, but below is a link to a previous discussion of how to use the product.

Here is a link that might be useful: SRD

o
RE: New House..Existing Deck..Should I do fall maintenance?

Wood looks good but be careful with Sikkens. It is made from Linseed oil which has a tendency to allow mold and mildew to form because of the sugars. So I try to avoid it. It's also a bear to strip off in preparation for a new stain. These are the considerations that many homeowners don't think about when choosing their stain. I prefer petroleum-based products so I get a deep-diving penetrant rather than a surface coating and they are easy to clean and prep for maintenance.

If you stay with the Sikkens....clean for your fall maintenance and reapply to keep your board protected. I am a firm believer in maintaining your wood!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here