Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doyline

Evergrain deck Disintegrating

doyline
13 years ago

We had a Evergrain Deck built in June 2007 and the deck, rails, flashing around the deck and the stairs are all disintegrating. The installer said Tamko ran a bad batch of product. We have turned in a Warranty Claim and still waiting for the outcome. Has anyone else had this problem???

Comments (65)

• jas01
    12 years ago

Just finished reading all of the postings on this topic. I had an Evergrain deck installed June 2007. I think mine is beginning to have problems -- a few small splinters and many small particles coming off when I hose it down. There also have been a couple of small places where it has flaked off. At this time it still looks good, but I didn't think a composite should be literally 'washing' away like this. I have a call in to the contractor.

• SteveVFX4
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear that. I had Evergrain decking and railing installed late last year and so far no problems. I recently cleaned it for the first time with Olympic deck cleaner and it came out nice (it removed a few minor marks that must have splashed from my gas grille).

• cousindave
    12 years ago

I've had problems with TAMKO EverGrain practically since day 1.

Check out some of the pictures
    http://twitter.com/#!/cousin_dave/media/slideshow?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitpic.com%2F69379f

Spent almost $40k on a deck that is now worthless.

Lots of promises, excuses, and lies from TAMKO.

The grain pattern is gone from just about all of the decking, the boards are starting to give, some type of fungus is starting to grow out of the cracks on the ballisters, the skirt is breaking and falling.

Probably the worst customer service I have ever encountered.

In my opinion you should avoid doing any business with TAMKO.

If you have TAMKO EverGrain you should immediately consult an attorney whether you are currently having a problem or not with this product.

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures of TAMKO EverGrain

• john_hyatt
    12 years ago

That's a bad deal with the decking coming apart,it almost looks like graval now.

I have to say the ballisters might be cracking because of incorect install of the fasteners,the skirting on the stair bucks has just come out from fasteners as well and lack of adhesive the part remaining seems fine. The rest of the deck from what I could see wasent all that bad.

I am not a fan of composite dont get me wrong and the crumbling should never happen.

Yo Dave your not planing on going after them with the weapons in your arsenal are you ??

• jas01
    12 years ago

Just wanted to add an update to my Aug 15 post --

I submitted a warranty claim to Tamko on Sept 15 and received a call from them yesterday (Oct 24) to let me know my claim had been approved. My contractor said I should receive material vouchers in a few weeks and weather permitting we should be able to get the deck replaced in Nov or Dec. While I'm not wild about going through the construction cycle again, I am very pleased with Tamko's response to my situation.

• terrigene
    11 years ago

in 2009 we installed an evergrain deck at the cost of over 29k It is now disintegrating, chalking, flaking, and in a few areas chunks. we got a claim number, they would not communicate with our contractor, sent everything in that was requested, and now they say they did not get everything I have no idea yet what they will or will not do. even if they replace the deck material, who is going to pay the contractor??? it is 3 years past install. I am frustrated with the rotting of what I thought was going to be a carefree and beautiful deck...

• Bpoole56
    11 years ago

Purchased April - June 2007. ANy decking not covered is disintegrating. ANy suggestions to make this process less painful? Thanks in advance.

• John_Dewing
    11 years ago

My deck (installed Aug 2006) is also decompressing... it's literally washing away with each rain fall. My garden hose takes layers away when I simply rinse it. I have contacted my deck builder to see if he has experienced issues using this material (TAMKO EverGrain-Redwood). When he viewed the damage, he mentioned that he has seen several other customers with the exact same issue. He also mentioned that TAMKO has taken take care of the labor cost in those situations.

Unfortunately, the deck builder, Deckscapes of Virginia LLC - Josh Desilets, initially said he would assist with remediation by providing a labor quote, but he has gone completely silent. Moving on to a different company for a labor quote.

I have calls into TAMKO but they have not yet replied... I'll post again with updates as they unfold...

• claude4
    10 years ago

I wanted to share my experiences with Tamko, I too, had issues with my Evergrain deck, built in 2007. About 20ft of the top railings started to blister after about 4 years.

Long story short; Tamko stood behind their product and good name, I am a happy camper with the solution provided.

Mid-summer 2011, I contacted Tamko to order about 20ft of replacement top rail as my local lumber yard no longer carried my style of deck railing. This quickly turned into a warranty claim. At first I was advised that Tamko would provide materials to replace the entire railing system on my deck BUT they would not cover the labor costs.

Having other, more pressing items on my plate at the time, I did not pursue this till the summer of 2012.

Mid-summer 2012, I called Tamko and referred to my original claim number to see what could be done. The customer rep. at the office had me send her pictures of the damaged rails and shortly thereafter dispatched the local rep. to my home; Mike explained the situation: Tamko would provide new rail kits to replace all the rails not just the damaged ones due to material defect and Tamko would pay the pro-rated labor direct to my contractor. (25 year warranty ��" 4 years in service).

Mike took ownership of the issue, had 2 pallets of rails & posts along with all required hardware delivered to my home within 2 weeks. Mike met with my contractor, worked out a labor charge that we all could live with, which, after the prorate on the labor costs for the 4 years I had my deck before filing the ORIGINAL claim I ended up with an out-of-pocket expense of under $300. This was to replace over 100ft of railing and posts on my deck and stairs. Once the work was completed I snail mailed the Labor Warranty voucher along with pictures of the completed deck and my contractor received his payment within days.

So for me, I am happy to report, Tamko stood behind their product and good name and delivered a solution to my satisfaction.

What more can I say; what started out as a hunt for a few feet of replacement top rail turned into a whole replacement with clearly better material and cost me only about what I imagined having to pay for replacing a few feet of top rail.

I am pleased with Tamko, thank you.

Claude H.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

We interviewed a neighbor prior to purchasing our home (currently being remodeled) and he took us to his back yard and showed us his Trex deck that had the same issues as all of yours.

This thread really helped us decide whether or not to use composite materials on our 25+ year old wooden decks that are weathered and rotting. Our contractor highly advised against it, so we are going with pressure treated wood.

Thanks for saving us from buyer's remorse!

• annzgw
    10 years ago

Just wanted to chime in that all composite decks do not have the problem described here. My deck is going on 11 years (can't find the brand name) and I've had no problems with it. After having to care for a wood deck for 10 years in a previous home, I find composite a blessing.

• Joyce Bongard
    7 years ago

we have the same problem and the posts are splitting and falling apart - feels like sandpaper when you touch it. They don't make the same size posts anymore, so it's turning into a really big problem.

• doyline
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We had the same problem and I turned in a claim to Tamko and they paid to have them replaced.

• Mary Lee
    7 years ago

We have been very frustrated with the problems that have appeared on some of the deck surface planks and, after reading these reviews, I realize we are not alone. I am not certain about the date that our date was built but I believe it was in 2007. (I have records filed away but can access). When the crack-like areas appeared, we contacted the dealer several times about getting the Tamko rep to come and view the problem. We were never successful in getting anything done. The spots have gotten progressively worse and I am now wondering just how to get the problem corrected. The contractor that built the deck is no longer available. In addition, I am wondering how the defective planks can be removed since they were secured with the hidden clips. Can anyone who has had a resolution offer some advice?

• doyline
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Call Tamko 18004417190 and submit a warranty claim

• g_tcleveland
    7 years ago

Does anyone have a copy of Tamko Evergrain deck Warranty for 2007 and/or 2008

• PRO
    Ramona's Plumber LEED AP ARCSA AP.
    7 years ago

Tamko made and sold a failing product and do not warranty the labor to reinstall the failed product. Thats like a restaurant selling a bad breakfast and to fix it they hand you a raw egg. I have 185' of railing and 90 ft. of decking connected to that and the labor will cost me $4,000. I think as a Plumbing contractor when I install a bad product I do labor too if a problem arises, and for a good reason too, I'm ethical..

Let's make America ethical again, actually e accountable for our actions. I am not happy with Evergrain / Tamko.

• hoosiergirl1995
    7 years ago

We are having similar issues with our Evergreen decking that was installed in 2009. We were quoted $23k to re-build the entire deck and TAMKO will only pay for the materials which cost $5000. I just got off the phone with them now and said exactly what you did Greg- "if my deck is built entirely with your faulty product- why wouldn't you cover labor as well? " Granted we are 2nd home owners but not even 8 years into the life of the deck that should last 25 years. I told the rep that I would have my attorney contact their legal dept. Unlike the breakfast example you gave.... I said to her, if my airbags are faulty/ defective (as my deck boards are).... I am guessing that Honda will not hand me an airbag and send me to a local mechanic to have it installed. They will do ALL OF THE LABOR themselves at their cost. TAMKO then replied, "we are not selling airbags" and she also said, if we honor your request- we will then have to honor others like yours. Umm?? Isn't that just good business? They are the worst! We will not use TAMKO ever again and if I have a chance to contact the news channels in PA that cover consumer reports- I will absolutely sign up to have them come out and see the disintegrating deck we have.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Keep me posted, in addition to the said issues I have another, my geographic location. Only one place an hour and a half away has the dealership for Tamko and the contractors in the area are very slim. I may have just lost my last contractor that was going to give me a material take off so I can send it in for my material replacement expense. As a home owner not a decking contractor I am going to need to do my own take off for materials. One issue was they did not say, "We don't make that 2x2, or 2x4, or 2x6 material anymore till last ph. call. So I was measuring up for that. They did say, Look at the Marquee and Tam rail systems, but I wanted just what I had, no more, no less. I feared what they suggested would cost an up grade. The Tam rail only comes in white, not good for my job. But the dealer says different, so bad product marketing. The whole problem would have been made better by them actually sending a competent rep to evaluate the deck first thing. I would have known all, they would have verified exactly what why and how to correct. greg@ramonasplumber.com, thanks

• tlbecker3364
    7 years ago

I have filed a Tamko warranty claim 5.5 months ago and am still waiting to see their estimate. Not to mention, actually receiving a check. And yes, I am in touch regularly with their rep processing these claims. Quite frankly, I am tired of their excuses. Apparently it will take a fall off my deck as it collapses, and letters from attorneys talking lawsuits to get them moving. Ok, I'm being sarcastic, but I was originally told 4-6 weeks. Tamko is grossly understaffed, and imo, they need to have a whole TEAM working these claims on the defective 2007 materials. I firmly believe the longer they take, the more $$$ I should receive to rebuild my deck.

• PRO
    7 years ago

I asked them to inspect my deck last July 2016, they are getting to it March 27th. 2017. They told me to get a quote from an authorized distributer then they would send me a check if the invoice was par for the region. I sent them one, they replied oh no they wont work with that distributer, (True-value hardware). So, it seems they will send me product now, that is what I asked for last yr. My deck is 80 ft. long and the railing becomes a fence totaling 194'. The product began flaking and has gotten advanced decay now. I bought the house from the builder, but am the 2nd. owner. So Tamko does not want to pay labor! demolition is several thousand dollars including the dumpster. 8 yrs. old and failing warrants a full re install.

• PRO
    6 years ago

$8,497.25 is what Tamko has offered in a cash amount. However, the only contractor I can get that will work with this stuff shows me an invoice quote for $10,574.37 for the materials alone and $12250 labor, that includes haul away of defective Tamko product. So, if they are the Mfgr. of this stuff why not offer me the product its self bypassing the middle man distributer and truly warranty the material? If they refuse to cover labor, then actually cover materials! The cash offer is a couple thousand less than my cost at the closest lumber yard. They could deliver the materials needed to the job.

Incidentally, the amount they offer is from an inspection they made and not my inflated material assessment request. This inspection was just made about a week ago. This offer causes me to lose about $14,000.

I am not looking to milk a cow here or get something for nothing, but they call this "Good faith" The product is clearly defective, then replace it! If I have to take less than retail for the material then buy the material, and they make a profit on that material, they are profiting on the defective product again! No remorse, no good faith.

I need Terrell Marshall Attorneys, in Seattle they are a class action firm that has a good history of good faith.

• Les Squires
    6 years ago

We have similar symptoms with our deck - installed in March 2008 and disintegrating. Also a black sooty mold has developed that cannot be removed with the common deck cleaners. Over 21K in Evergrain with labor. Tamco wants product code. We've removed several boards without finding codes on the ends, sides or underneath. Has anyone else had trouble finding the product (batch) code? Trying to complete the warrantee application.

• doyline
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I never did find a code, I called Tamko and they said to leave it blank.

• PRO
    6 years ago

I never found a code either. In support of Tamko, they did say that they would under compensate me anyway. That is they accept the product is theirs and waived the as requested on the claim form proof of purchase code.

I am now trying to find a way to replace the decking on the amount they offer. I will not likely be able to do that, but how many thousands of dollars will I lose on the deck is my task.

• Shawna R
    6 years ago

I am in the same situation- in VA- townhouse was built in 2008 and I pulled the planks up last week and no codes anywhere.

• connaroo
    6 years ago

My Evergreen deck was installed in 2007 and within a year, I noticed that when anyone walked on it in socks, they had a red tinge on the bottom of their socks (redwood color decking). I initially thought that it was because it was still new and over time, that would stop. It didn't and by 2013, I noticed that the decking was starting to fade and look quite worn. By 2016, it was obvious that it is peeling and the word "disintegrate", as used by other here, seems to apply. My decking, although a different color, looks a lot like the photos above. One might ask why I waited so long to research this company, but my original contractor closed his business and moved out of state. I had no idea the name of the manufacturer of this decking material. I finally reached the foreman who worked on the project and he remembered the name of the product. After reading these posts and seeing the photo, there is no doubt in my mind that my deck was made out of Evergrain Decking material. Since I don't have any paperwork and so much time has passed, does anyone think I will be able to get this company to compensate me on a new deck or provide any new material? I am sorry I didn't go with real hardwood when we built the deck, but I thought this would be a far superior material.

• PRO
    6 years ago

There is a new class action being looked at about the way they do not compensate. Failure is failure, either in product or behavior of people responsible. I say the company and product has failed. I was compensated under 50% of the cost to replace my Tamko Evergrain product. My Trex deck is fine, and its older!

I had the same problem of no receipt, the builder said, "Your on your own". Profit over ethics, that is where we are as a culture, all in the name of capitalism and free market, so, be American, do not use Tamko Evergrain products.

• oregonwolf
    5 years ago

I too have this same issue. Epoch Industries/Tamko Evergrain decking is simply disintegrating. My deck was installed in 2007 and the product was warrantied for 20 years. A few weeks ago my DOG stepped through the deck. This is flaking everywhere and the material is turning to dust. I am just beginning the process of dealing with Tamko so I will let you all know where this goes. If anyone is interested in a Class Action Lawsuit please let me know.

• PRO
    5 years ago

I got $8,400 as a settlement. My materials alone were almost twice that. I have about 100 ft. of railing and significant decking. The class action suit that contacted me was a dud for me, as I signed a release when accepting the money. There are others and 2 different law firms interested in helping consumers who got this defective product. I lost $14,000 on my deck rebuild. I did not even do as much as I had to take out! I had 80' of fence that was a continuation of the deck rail and I down graded to peel pole fencing to save money. As well left out a gate. I used stainless steel cable to replace the railing as it was less labor and more durable. The Tamko product decays in sunlight worse than shade. The people at the warranty put on a good show of caring and helping, but I spent one yr. getting my money.

I will never buy any product from them or any subsidiaries. Further I will recommend to others they do the same.

• HU-365996964
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

i had Epoch Evergrain decking installed in February 2007. It has been disintegrating as others have described, but I figured that was normal after 11 years. I had a contractor over for a different reason and he said my deck should not be doing that. I believe I do have the receipts.

I don't even know where to start to have this problem addressed. I don't have the money right now to pay for any portion of replacement, labor or anything. Can someone who has been down this road give me a push in the right direction?

• john walker
    4 years ago

I purchased a.House in December of 2018. The evergrain deck which was installed in 2008 is also disintegrating much like the pics in previous post.

i tracked down the house builder, he is the one that supplied the brand name to me. The deck is 10 or 11 years old. Do you think I still have a claim?

• HU-226137296
    4 years ago

I have a similar problem with Evergrain deck material. Mine has disintegrated and I have laid down plywood so people or animals would not fall thru. My deck was installed as part of a majar addition to my house in 2004 and I have contacted my contractor, his supplier, another major supplier and Tamko to no avail. The local area mfg rep in the Denver area agreed the product was defective but since I do not have an invoice since it was part of an overall contract, they said I am denied any claim. Someone talked about a class action suit, I would be interested if that is happening.

• john walker
    4 years ago

Yeah, I called Tamko the other day about filing a claim. i was told the warranty was only good the 1st 5 years and only if you were the 1st or 2nd purchaser of the house. So I said , I guess your 20 year warranty is a 5 year one at best. Buyer beware! dont purchase anything from this company.

• go_zags
    4 years ago

I just called Tamko, and we are the second owners of the decking. We bought the house in 2012, and the deck was installed in 2007. I was told that because we didn't transfer ownership of the deck in that first 5 year period, they cannot process a claim. We are at the point where we have to tear this stuff down because it's unsafe. Sounds like they have a list of hoops that nobody can satisfy, so their warranty means absolutely nothing.

• oregonwolf
    4 years ago

I installed over 2000 square feet of Evergrain Epoch in June of 2007. It is disintegrating and my S-I-L stepped through it one night while barbecuing. I took many picture and got multiple bids for both their replacement materials as well as a competitors. I also got licensed bid for installation as well as replacement cost for the underlying joists that were rotting due to standing water in the dust of the rotten composite. Total replacement with the highest bids was just over 35K. I told them I would “go away” for $36,000.00. They countered one week later for the lowest materials only bid of $17,800.00. They stated the warranty did not cover labor or any related damage. I next wrote them a very angry letter threatening to hire an attorney and sue based on knowingly selling a faulty product and also placing my family in danger due to their negligence. Two weeks later the sent me a full release settlement letter for $36,000.00 I signed and returned the letter and within one week had a check. The entire process took less than three months. I am thrilled with the resolution.

• john walker
    4 years ago

Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones. What year did your settle take place?

• oregonwolf
    4 years ago

I got paid in January of 2019. Yes, I think I did get lucky based on many of these comments.

• john walker
    4 years ago

Your SIL’s accident may have motivated

them. At any rate I’m glad you were successful.

• go_zags
    4 years ago

Posting a photo just in case you were considering a Tamko deck.

• HU-603606141
    2 years ago

We are now discovering we also have similar problems with our decking which was installed in 2007/2008. Does anyone know if a class action was ever filed and if so what law firm to contact? I would appreciate any feedback. thank you

• Terri Ross-Cleveland
    2 years ago

You can put a claim in directly with Tamko. That is what we did and they will depreciated the value of your deck.

• HU-603606141
    2 years ago

thank you. Did they just give you cash or did they provide new decking directly.? Also did they pay for labor too? They gave me their claim form but I was hoping tp speak with an attorney who might be litigating a class action lawsuit. I dont know if there is one but I saw people reference it

• HU-603606141
    2 years ago

does anyone know of a law firm that is handling any claims against tamko/evergrain?

• Jeff Davies
    2 years ago

my evergrain decking is failing for years i installed it in april 2008 the stuff is alful i have over 2700 sq ft the warranty would prorate the product and no labor i got est to replace for 60,000. i think we need to do something

• smdwcdca
    2 years ago

Has anyone had problems with staining of EverGrain. My deck is like a sponge .

• anhalt_dc
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

My EverGrain deck is also disintegrating, flaking peeling. I called Tamko today 1-31-22 and they sent me an email with instructions to send them an email with information. Then they would send me a kit to start a claim. So I'm early in the process but hoping someone with previous comments on here will let us know how it's going for them and if they are doing a law suit.

• HU-335450697
    last year

FYI, our Tamko Evergrain was installed in 2003. It's now 2022 and it still looks great. The supporting wood framing, on the other hand, has been worked on (sections) 3 times.

• Kathleen Tucker
    7 months ago

Ramona’s plumber mentioned a class action company. do you have a name or contact. we have the same problem everone is mentioning here.

• smdwcdca
    7 months ago

8 years after installation, still staining ….Don’t buy EverGrain decking.!