Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boothbay_gw

backyard eyesore

boothbay
9 years ago

My neighbor's back yard is attached to mine. They are very sloppy with theirs and its an eyesore to look at. There are about 6 different size bikes either hanging or just thrown on the ground among other things. Here is a picture of it. I finally thought to put a planter there and plant some kind of plant that would 'cover it up' from my point of view. I am at a loss what to plant there, but it has to be at least 6 to 8' feet tall. I would welcome any suggestions. Would also be nice for it to be attractive to me besides the typical boring 'hedges'.
If you have any in mind, it would be nice if you include a picture of what your suggesting or a link to where I can see it.
{{gwi:49465}}

Comments (7)

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

What about a solid (instead of chain link) fence instead? It'd cover it up the mess faster.

• boothbay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, never thought of a fence. Most fences i believe are 6 feet high. There is newly laid concrete next to that chain link fence which I had done a month or so ago. That chain link fence is theirs. How could I put up a fence there? I do not want to bore holes in a newly laid concrete floor. Legally, I don't think i can attach anything to their fence. I wouldn't mind a white vinyl fence but its needs support..

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Too bad you put concrete next to a view you would like to block.

• boothbay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It didn't look that bad when I had the pavement done, and to be honest, I had completely blocked it out of my mind...my pavement was more of a concern at that time.

• User
    9 years ago

booth,
    If I had a nasty view like that, believe me, I would be at Home Depo this weekend buying something to put there.
    Think about what you could use, to brace it up there.
    It doesn't have to come all the way down to the ground, If you bought something 6 ft high, you could start a couple feet off of the ground, and then support it on that.
    Plant urns that are heavy would work, with the fence on a wooden post set in them, Even burlap cloth which isn't expensive, you could hang it somehow on your side.
    Look around and see what you find.
    If all else fails, and you can't think of anything, a giant evergreen in a huge pot will do the trick.
    Look in the garden section, and pick out the bushiest, tallest evergreen tree they have there, and buy a giant pot for it. Some potting soil, and you are all set.

• emma
    9 years ago

I like caster bean plants for hiding things. That is what I planted in front of our deck the first year at our last home. It looked dirty under there and we had to many other priorities right then. They grow fast and are beautiful. I would get the tall green ones, you plant seeds. AND I know the seeds are poisonous but I kept the seed pods broken off.