Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anchorseal on Ipe deck

Posted by jasetheace (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 16:22

We had a deck installed last week. They coated it with Anchorseal
http://www.uccoatings.com/Home/Products/ANCHORSEAL
(I just found that out today).

It still hasnt dried and it also rained in the last two days and the Anchorseal has gone this white color.

Upon researching Anchorseal Ive realized that it should never have been used in the first place.

My question is when the contractor comes back tomorrow, what are my options?

Did they ruin the wood and do we have to rip it up.
Can it be cleaned off
Can it be sanded off.
Right now it has the same consistency as if they just painted Vaseline on it?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anchorseal on Ipe deck

That is so dumb. You might have to scrape off what you can, and then sand the deck. If you try to sand it first, it will just foul up the sandpaper.
There might be a solvent...you should contact anchorseal.
If it's an Ipe deck, the wood will be ok.

steve

o

amazing - hoping it's a bad joke.

o

Wow, that's the dummest thing I've heard in awhile. Not much hope for that decking. Imo your best bet, or I should say your contractors best bet is to unscrew the boards & flip them over cause that side is history. Dummy should have read up on it's use before using it for a finish.

Forget sanding, that ain't gonna work, maybe a planer.

o

I'm a woman and even I would not have done this! Anchorseal is for the ends of the boards to keep them from checking/etc. I had a tigerwood deck put down about 18 months ago, the distributor recommended Penofin Penetrating Oil Finish. 90% UV protection, Brazilian Rosewood Oil. I did it initially and should have reapplied it again, but with the business of trying to work and other things that didn't happen. So it has aged a silver color. Not bad but I'm going to pressure wash it and reseal it. Good luck with yours. I think you are screwed! By the way, they sold me a couple of quarts of a wax (probably similar to Anchorseal) to put on all of the fresh cut ends. When the wood was delivered all the ends were already coated. I just needed to reapply for the new cuts. Everything worked out fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here