Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenocurley

Which side of the house should we put a porch on

jenocurley
14 years ago

I am finally getting my dream of a screened porch but I don't know where to out it. Right now the best way to describe our house is a cape cod with a walk out basement in the front because the house in on a hill. We use a basement entrance mostly but company tends to walk up the steps to the main level where there is a large 16x23 deck that also connects to a patio and pool area (we might get rid of the pool anyway in which case this would be a patio and garden area). This side also has the best view of the hillside and farm land across from us. On the opposite side of the house is where the kitchen is and there is more privacy because there are trees on along the front of the property on that side. On this side of the deck is smaller but we would replace it with a porch a bit bigger than we could fit on the other side.

My issues is I wonder if we will use the deck more if it is next to the kitchen, what about the natural light I will loose. I don't love the idea of loosing that but if we put the deck on the other side we will loose the light in our living room. And what about having company enter through the deck? I would love some insight, opinions, thoughts.... Please

Comments (6)