Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brand New Unstained Deck's Black Spots

Posted by mnwildrose (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 16:00

Our new (unstained) cedar deck has been in for 9 days now and it's already got several black spots (see close-up). These black marks shouldn't have appeared so fast, should they? It looks awful!

What is this? Please, we need ideas on what to do. Is this the contractor's fault; something wrong with the cedar? We had planned to let the deck age for a couple of months, so that it will accept stain well, and then stain it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can share!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brand New Unstained Deck's Black Spots

Just thought I would add this second photo that's not as close - lots of small black spots and then the big smudges of black around the screws.
I sure am hoping that someone can help us!

o

Looks to me like the fasteners are rusting.

o

Did you ever get the spots to go away? We have the same issue with out unstained treated deck. We were hoping to stain it this fall but cannot get rid of the spots. Deck cleaner does nothing. I've even made my own cleaner and increased the bleach in the mix to no avail.

o

It's been odd. The black marks seem to come and go - never totally away, but they lessen, sometimes to almost nothing, and then come back. I am glad to say, there's less blackening now than there was soon after the deck was built - when the photos were taken.

We didn't do anything to the deck this fall. Cold weather hit before we felt we should stain. So, hoping that this coming spring we'll be able to go through the steps of cleaning and preparing the deck for a good staining.

Sure would appreciate you writing back as you figure out what's best to do with your deck. Thanks for writing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here