Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
woodrich stain on ipe is tacky

Posted by weluvnik (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 15:57

Hi, we stained our covered porch 2 weeks ago and it is still slightly tacky. What did we do wrong? The weather here has been cool and rainy, and the porch is covered so it doesn't get much sun light. We sanded prior to staining -- but my husband mistakenly used only a 100 grit sander, rather than a lower #. Could that be the problem? He applied the stain with a brush, as was recommended to him by woodrich.

Any suggestions for getting rid of the tackiness?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: woodrich stain on ipe is tacky

Too much finish combined with rain.

The sanding grit had nothing to do with it. Wait it out.

J.

o

Thank you John! That makes me feel so much better. The weather is supposed to be much warmer and drier the next few days, hopefully that will help.

o

Did you wipe it down with rags after applying the stain? I think Woodrich tells you to do this.

o

no -- and I pestered my husband about doing so, but he said they told him to simply back brush it with the brush. we had a warm day yesterday and it feels less tacky today -- maybe it is finally drying. wish I could put a heat lamp on it -- is there such a thing for speeding up stain drying?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here