Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trex Vs Evergrain Vs Other

Posted by sari_mac (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 7, 06 at 15:37

First of all I would like to thank you all for posting previously about Trex decking material. I believe I now understand the most common downfalls (mold, expansion, staining).

I am building a deck that is larger than my first apartment. We located in Western Washington (i.e. rain) and consider the known Trex problems large issues. Around here it seems the only composite decking that is available is Trex, Evergrain, and Fiberon.

I have heard next to nothing about Evergrain and Fiberon. Considering those two vary anywhere from $.10/ft to $.45 more than Trex you can see my delemma. When considering buying this much decking I want to know what I'm getting. I know if I get Trex it will cost less now, and I will probably have to pressure wash it every year.. which I had to do to my previous deck anyhow every year due to the green film that grows on everything in this area.

I can see no reason why Evergrain and Fiberon will not have the same molding problem since I understand their product has small amounts of wood in it as well. I'm wondering if I haven't heard anything good or bad about these two products merely because they're not as widely used as Trex is.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these products in the Pacific Northwest and anyone at all with Evergrain and Fiberon?

Thanks,
Sari

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trex Vs Evergrain Vs Other

No experience with decking in the Pacific Northwest I did a little stained glass in Eugune Or, Anyway there is a reason t=junk is so cheep they are busy paying off the class action and coming up with those cool adds with decks that dont exist.They really need to turn a couple of bucks or go banko.
Evergrain/Epoch is a soft composite,at least 10 per cent color fade and will take some care far as cleaning goes like anything outside.We did a couple of projects out of it with no call backs in a few years. I have never used Fiberon.

I dont know how much decking your planing on,if your going to go with an upgrade material dont use composite at all go with ipe. John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here