Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
protecting joists and beams with Bituthene

Posted by rocketdoctor (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 30, 09 at 14:40

a contract friend recommends I cover all my joists and beams of my deck (which is PTW) with a Bituthene type flashing. he says this will prevent any chance over moisture getting in cracks between joints and causing rot. Im imagining its another $100 of material which is nothing compared to the total cost and labor I put into it.

does anybody see any issues with doing this, one concern is it could trap harmless moisture that my PTW would absorb and allow to slowly dry and instead my decking would be subjected to this, is that a ridiculous thought?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: protecting joists and beams with Bituthene

Do to the low quality of mcq pt wood its a good idea to use something on top of the pt lumber in high exposure areas even if you use ground contact mcq.

Using the rubber flashin is a risk for the reasons you have mentioned. Google up>> Copper Naphthenate < and buy a gal or so , treat your contact areas with it.

This product has a very very long record, why we dont get lumber treated with it you are going to have to take up with the green Mafia. Its only going to get worst with the left wing pres in power so buy it while you can.

JonMon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here