Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david_destef

ipe deck plugging issues

david_destef
13 years ago

Greetings.

New member here. I am a self proclaimed DIY'er named Dave. This project shows somethings i should leave to the pros.

Built a 24x14 foot Ipe deck at my home. decided to use plugs. When drilling my countersinks, i was needing to use all of my 185 lbs. to get the drill into the ipe. This caused slight tweaks in the drill, resulting in plug holes slightly bigger than my plugs. I then used adhesive to stick the plugs, and fill in the gap in between the plugs and the sides of the holes.

I then used a planer to level the plugs with the deck. What i want to accomplish is to smooth the plugs, and remove the excess adhesive that has dried on the deck surface around the plugs. I realized after the fact that i should have wiped the excess adhesive from around the plugs while it was still wet. I failed to do that.

I tried to spot sand in a corner and than applied my stain and the stain magnifies the area where it was sanded. the wood also looks less rich and more shiny where it was sanded and stained.

I have screwed this project up big time and after spending thousands of dollars and a hundred+ hours i am just trying to make it so its not a complete eyesore.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

I have two questions hopefully someone can help me out with.

Comments (5)

• david_destef
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After doing my due diligence on this site, i have come up with a plan. And finally i am going to be smart and wait until someone can confirm this is a good idea. Please.

I'd always read not to sand ipe before staining because it will then not accept the stain well. I don't think i have a choice because i want to smooth the plugs and remove some adhesive residues.
    So does anyone see a problem with sanding with 60 grit sandpaper using a belt sander, or maybe renting a sander i can use standing up? Then staining.

Thanks for your time and expertise

Dave

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Dave your using a frostner bit Right? Puting the kind of preasure your taking about is not needed, ever, even with a very dull bit.

The plugs should be installed with glue,I use tightbond 111,not construstion adhesive. I would never use a power planer to take off the proud part of the plugs.

The reason you can read info telling you not to sand ipe is because its an urban mith that will not go away. You can deffentley sand ipe any time you want. It comes to you off the truck planed to 200 grit or so.

Do not use a belt sander on your ipe deck,or any another
    deck,for a lot of reasons.Use a random orbit sander,I use a 5'' makita, 60 grit will be fine. I am on a large Ipe project right now so far we have used up 100 or so pads on the thing.

I agree with you. You have screwed up the project but nothing that cant be fixed to some degree. J.

• david_destef
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for teaching John.

I believe the name of the bit i used is an adjustable countersink. It allowed me to drill the pilot hole and the sink hole. I googled frostner or forstner and the bit i used does not look like that.
    The power planer worked well for me. It totally removed about 6 of the plugs, causing them to need replacing, but once i got the hang of it, it was quite clean. Worked a lot better than when i used the chisel for not so level areas of the deck boards.
    I was instructed by East Teak to use construction adhesive on the plugs. Will this cause me problems down the road?
    I filled in the cracks around the plugs afterwards with wood glue and sanded off the excess that ended up on the deck.
    I went ahead and sanded everything today with 80 grit and a ROS and it fixed a bunch of my issues. Now if only i had mitered all my ends i would not have those rookie gaps in the deck. A solid learning experience.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

I got YA. the one reason I dont use that combo set up is it cloges up to fast and is way too slow for my work anyway.

Sounds like you have it under control Dave. Some Contractors use a chisel on the first plug pass for me its the random orbit before the glue has completley set up this puts a fine layer of dust around the plug.

Go Get Emm Man!! The weather will most likey blend in any flaws around the plugs. J.

• deck.builder
    13 years ago

I think John has you covered here. I have sanded ipe before applying a finish and never had a problem with it. I also agree with the fact that you want random orbital sander, this will prevent sanding lines into the decking that a belt sander can and most likely will cause if not extremely careful.

As for an adhesive to hold the plugs, Ive never tried the tightbond, but gorilla glue has worked good for me in the past. And again as John stated, I usually do not let them dry completely before sanding.