Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
50% of deck screws snapped

Posted by kwerk (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 14:12

I laid down 5/4x6 yellwood treated boards last year. This year I noticed quite a few screws have popped up out of the wood, and the joints at the end of boards especially have become loose. When I try to tighten the screws they spin freely. When I unscrew the screw I see that it has snapped where the threads start, so the threaded portion is stuck in the joist. I estimate about half of the screws on the deck are snapped like this.

I dried out the boards indoors for 6 months while I did the framing, and they were very dry when I installed them. I think I used an 1/8" spacing between them.

The deck is south facing and gets a lot of sun and I didn't get around to staining it yet. When it rains for a while, the boards expand a lot to the point the gaps disappear. When it is extremely dry the gaps are quite big 3/8" maybe. I guess that sheared the screws off from the movement.

What can I do about this? Obviously stain the deck to minimize the movement. But I cant screw new screws in to the holes because the snapped screw is still in the joist.

The screws I used are supposed to be top-rated with good reviews on this board.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 50% of deck screws snapped

I had the same problem 12 years ago with wood shelving I had built in my basement. I operated a lumberyard/homecenter and had used a GRK brand torx screw. If you held the screws between two pairs of pliers, and tried to bend them, they would snap in half. They had no shear strength. Other deck screws or even drywall screws would bend instead of breaking testing this way.The Canadian rep for GRK looked at me as if he didn't believe me and gave me $300 in screws. I have sold $40,000 worth of them per year ever since with no problems. Go figure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here