Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clubhouse materials...ipe? Really?

Posted by youngdeb (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 28, 10 at 13:55

So we won a custom design for a treehouse/playhouse at a charity auction last year. The architect designed this really cool 2-story playhouse for us, but he called for cladding the thing in ipe 2 x 2's, which is going to cost $4,000 in materials alone. (That's just for the cladding, doesn't include the structure, the footings, the crazy door hardware, etc. Do I sound frustrated?) Reminder, this is for a PLAYHOUSE.

So I'm calling around to see what our alternatives might be, and thought some of you might have ideas. He has this in 2x2x9 (which is a unicorn item carried by NOBODY.) So we'll obviously bring it down to 2x2x8. Then the question becomes...what can we use that isn't ipe that won't bow at an 8' length?

I swear, I'm about to clad the thing in plywood and call it a day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clubhouse materials...ipe? Really?

Clad it in plywood and call it a day.

J.

o

The bowing will have more to do with the span left unsupported than the total length. Even an ipe 2x2 can't (or at least shouldn't) go 8' unsupported. What's the longest span between studs?

o

He has them unsupported the full 8' length. And I can't believe I didn't think of that. Of course they won't stay straight like that, my kid could probably hang on them and splinter them. RIght?

o

Your kid can do chin ups all day long, no problem. The issue with Ipe is movement with the seasons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here