Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exposed Aggregate Patio - ok for bare feet?

Posted by magdiego (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 13:08

Hi,

We're finishing up a LOOONNNGG remodel process (I've been saying that for a while now, someday we'll really finish up) and we need to decide on the patio.

A few years before this remodel, we had our old plain concrete patio stained and sealed. It looked beautiful, but I didn't like how slippery it was when wet. It was less slippery after the sealer began to wear off, but then the finish wasn't as nice.

We looked at stamped concrete, but my husband doesn't care for it. (He also wants a solid patio, and isn't interested in pavers.) So now we're thinking about exposed aggregate. I like the look, but I'm worried about how it feels underfoot. We're in Southern California, so we go barefoot most of the year.

Our GC likes a product called Top-Cast, which looks to be less rough textured than traditional exposed aggregate.

Does anyone have experience with Top-Cast, or with exposed aggregate in general? How does it feel underfoot? Does it need to be sealed (the concrete contractor told me the Top-Cast doesn't need sealing)?

Thanks in advance,

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exposed Aggregate Patio - ok for bare feet?

We have a 500sq.ft exposed aggregate patio that our builder installed. It was what he spec'd for our house (not an upgrade). I wasn't sure if I would like it, but definitely didn't want to spend extra money on the patio. Once it was poured, I was so happy we didn't do something different. I love it and I think it feels great on my feet. It's not slippery at all.

o
RE: Exposed Aggregate Patio - ok for bare feet?

Thanks, cbusmomof3, that's exactly what I needed to hear. Since we're at the tail end of this remodel, saving some money is a definite plus, but on the other hand, I didn't want a plain gray slab just off our brand spanking new addition. Sounds like it will work for us.

Thanks again,

Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here