Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknow Stain

Posted by josal (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 12:40

I know that my deck wood is cedar. What I don't know is whether the stain is oil or water based. There are several areas where there is old solid stain patches, some large and a few smaller and very large areas of dirty old gray, down to the wood, decking. What kind of stripper should I use to remove the stain?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknow Stain

HD-80 will remove virtually any exterior stain.

o

Thanks Beth. I went to their page and it sounds like HD80 will do the job.

o

Cabot makes a line of "problem solver" products and I think? they make 2, one for stripping latex stains too. If your old patch looks badly faded and dirty, it's probably old oil solid. If it is peeled anywhere it's probably latex. There are other ways to tell, like if alcohol will break it down, it's oil.

o

Not a problem, if I can help you out with any other questions regarding wood restoration or preservation feel free to give me a call. 636-288-5821 Best of luck!

Beth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here