Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angs_pool

Allumiwood patio covers~~

angs_pool
18 years ago

last year I asked about this product, I couldn't find anyone that knew anything about it~~But my DH really wanted it so

we went ahead and had it installed a few months ago...

I just wanted to let anyone looking for this product know that it seems very durable and takes very low maintance....

It took them 3 days to install it and We were told that it can just be pressure washed each spring and it looks new..

I hope this helps someone looking for a patio cover..

I'm glad my DH insisted now, but I was worried that it would look tacky....

Angie

Comments (15)

• chef_cindy
    18 years ago

I can't believe I've stumbled across this great website and specifically your posting. I had a very similar product (if not the same) installed last summer and I love it! I, too, was afraid it would look tacky and a definite add-on to the house. But I am VERY happy with it and feel it was the right choice. In fact, right now, I am screening in part of it. I did a solid cover over a 20x21 area and an adjacent lattice pergola section that is about 10x18. It looks like you have a combination as well. Obviously, it's the 20x21 area that I am now screening in. One word of advice. I waited a year to power wash it and am now having problems removing all the mildew. I spent 2 full days over Labor Day weekend on a ladder scrubbing it down with bleach and I still don't have it all removed. The guys that are screening it in now are the same guys who installed last year so they said they were going to try something to get it off for me. I am resolved to power wash it each season or 4 times a year going forward. I would rather power wash more often than stand on a ladder to scrub. Despite this, I am very happy with the product. You may not find the same problem in CA that I have here in TX. I did want to ask if you could tell me the brand of your fans and furniture. I want to redo my porch now that the screening is going up and I love your choices and I'm not good at decorating. The drapes are very classy too -- great touch!

• deckman22
    18 years ago

For someone who works with wood & not aluminum I have to say that stuff looks great. My only question is how much does it cost?

Al

• angs_pool
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Cindy~~Thanks for the heads up on pressure washing a few times a year, That's good to know. I got My furniture this last Spring at a local store here in Redding, I'm not sure if they have a web site~~I'll get back to you ~~IF THEY DO!! My fan is from Home Depot, it's made for outside use, by Hampton Bay~~Check out Homedepot.com for it... I'd love to see pictures of your cover, if you have some..

Al~~I'm glad you like it, Actually it was alittle over 9k, but We upgraded to the round pillars, and they were 300 dollars each, so that brought the price up quite a bit..
    I'm from a family of builders so I understand where your coming from, thats one of the reasons I was worried how I would like the look, but people actually think it's wood at first~~ Of course the people that think it's wood aren't builders so they don't look too close :)~~I'm sure I couldn't fool my family at all :)...

Take care,
    Life is good!!
    Angie

• chef_cindy
    18 years ago

Hi Angie, Thanks for letting me know about the fan. I have searched all over the internet and even went to a local lighting store and I don't think Hampton Bay makes that fan anymore, but I will go to Home Depot and see if they can special order it. It's not in their stores or their website. Now that I know for sure it's Hampton Bay, I will make some further inquiries. I'm really hoping I can find two of them. If you do run across the furniture brand, that would be great, too. It looks very comfy.

Cost? Well, I dug out my invoice. I had the cover installed in July, 2004. As I said earlier, the solid cover is 20x21 and then there is an adjacent lattice pegola that is 10x18. Total cost was $6,480. The screening in of the 20x21 area with 2 doors and solar screening ran me another $3,267.

I don't have pics yet after the screening in. I'll try and take some this weekend (if Hurricane Rita doesn't cause it to rain all weekend here in Austin) and post later. In the meantime, I could post a few pictures before and after the cover was installed if you could tell me how to do this.

One other note before I end this post. I've decided this can't be mold or mildew on my pergola as even straight bleach won't take it off. When the screening went up, the installers even tried a little varnish remover and it wouldn't come off. I am planning to call the sales guy aka owner of the company to see what he can do next. I can't image what it might be. It's on my white gutters and it came off with the bleach cleaning. I'll have to let you know what I find out.

Best regards,
    Cindy

• angs_pool
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cindy~~I would love to see pictures.. This is how I post pictures in a message~~
    1) For quick posting: Go to www.tinypic.com.
    Click the "Browse" button to find the picture you want to post from your computer.

Select the picture then click "Host It". After a few moments (depending on connection speed and size of the image) a few tags will appear at the bottom.

Simply highlight,cut and paste the entire contents of the "Tag" entry into your forum post.
    Viola, you have posted a picture.

I got my fan at home depot this last spring~~this is the only one I could find on Home depot.com~~But it doesn't have a light and it's also not available now~~It says to check your local store... Hopefully you'll have better luck this coming spring, sorry I'm no help...

I'd really like to know what they say it is on your pergola, I sure hope they can get it off for you!! I'll keep a look out for it!! Can you take some pictures of it also?!
    I'm going to see what I can come up with for you as far as furniture...
    http://www.leisurelivinginc.com/alum8.htm
    This company has a style of patio furniture that is really simular to mine... These are pictures from their web~site!! Check it out!! I'm not sure of the $$$prices!!

I hope this helps!!
    Angie

• venidero
    17 years ago

Angie, do you know the brand of patio cover that is or who your installer was? I'm in southern california and looking into the same thing..

• renoincali
    17 years ago

Angie,

I noticed they mounted your cover on top of the roof, not to the fascia as I normally see, giving the cover's ceiling addition height for your patio. This is exactly what I need. How did you get them to do it, and what did they do on the roof for the solid portion of the cover(does water still run down to the gutters or divert around?)

Thanks

• harpky
    17 years ago

OMG - I have looked and looked and stumbled upon this - this is what I am looking for - What company did you use? I live in Kentucky and was planning to have a wood pergola built over our patio but shuttered at thought of having to paint and maintain. Please forward me all the information you can on this project. Thanks.

• airborne101
    17 years ago

Alumawood is made by Amerimax, website is amerimaxbp.com. I think you can search for installers in your area there. Another manufacturer is Metals USA, don't like that product as well, but it is similar. Prices range, but here in the west per sq foot is $10 and up depending on design and options. Great product, no maintainance, good looks. If built properly it has a 90mph wind load or more, and a 10 lb per foot snow load. Hope this helps, Barb

• angs_pool
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can't believe it has been years since I've been in here... Plants have grown in so much since then..

• dlg421
    13 years ago

Beautiful pictures. After nearly five years I am wondering how the finish on the patio covers is holding up? Any problems at this point with any aspect of the covers? Also please post current pictures if you can.

Thanks.

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    7 years ago

I am having one installed right now.

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    7 years ago

@angs_pool How did you attach curtain rods? I am a little nervous about attaching curtain rods to the thin Allumiwood beams. I was told to use 1/2" or 3/4' sheet metal screws that self tap.

• lynndeeculp
    6 years ago

I am having one built tomorrow replacing two wood patios. I have curtains on my wood one and was wondering the same thing. I really want the curtains back up on the Alumawood. Did you ever find out how to attach them?