Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
metal post base, other alternative?

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 12:23

I'm thinking of using a 6"x6" pressure treated wood for my pergola. Last night, I went to home depot to find out how to mount the 6x6 ptw to the concrete footing. He showed the post metal base to me and I was very shock to hear the price. I piece is $19+. That's too much for me.

What are other alternatives? Burying the wood is against our village code.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: metal post base, other alternative?

Yep, they're expensive. I think I spent more on metal hardware than I did on framing lumber in my deck. I wouldn't skimp. In the grand scheme of things, you're talking under $100 for a solid footing on which to build a pergola worth much more than that.

Do shop around, though. I think I paid about $15 each for mine.

o
RE: metal post base, other alternative?

Other alternatives? Like what?

You could do it the old fashioned way, pin it with a piece of re-bar & glue it. Doesn't do much for laterial strength, but neither do the post base like they sell at home cheapo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here