Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homestylelisa

REPOST: Sunroom quote - too high?

homestylelisa
13 years ago

Hi everyone - I tried to post this, but it somehow got lost although the title made it without the text. My apologies.

We have a local sunroom company giving us a quote on building us a 4 season sunroom. It will be positioned on an exterior corner of our house where a very sturdy covered patio already exists. So, two of the walls, foundation, and roof are already there. It will measure about 12 x 15. Windows top to bottom (Transoms, plus 5 ft sliders), composite construction. Our initial quote was around 13k. Is this reasonable? We thought it sounded a little high. We will be doing the ceiling, drywalling (turning our current exterior walls into more finished interior walls) and carpeting our own floor, as well as doing our own slider that will allow access to the room from our back room.

??? Any opinions are very much appreciated.

Comments (8)

• aidan_m
    13 years ago

What were the other quotes?

• homestylelisa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aidan - That is our only quote.

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

You mentioned all the things that won't need doing, but not the items that will be undertaken by the contractors. What are the components of the job that they will do?

• aidan_m
    13 years ago

If you know how to install a slider, why hire a contractor for the windows? It sounds like your bidder was maybe a bit leery of contracting with a homeowner that is very ambitious but possibly a little bit inexperienced with construction.

I do not give fixed bids to clients who insist on buying their own materials or doing part of the work themselves. The client's inexperience will cost extra time at the expense of the contractor. If a client wants to hire me but run the job themselves, I just charge by the hour.

Your contractor probably understands what final product is desired, but may not be certain of what exactly will be done by you and what will be done by him. You should write up a complete work plan, outlining the sequence of construction activities, task by task, and then figure out what tasks you need a contractor for and get bids for the individual tasks.

A side note- get a quality slider. The generic ones sold at the box stores STINK! Pella and Jeldwen are crap. Sometimes these come assembled wrong from the factory. I have had to take them apart and turn parts around just to get the sliding part to work. Not cool.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

John total agrees with Aidan,again.

Good work Man. J.

• homestylelisa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We just thought it sounded a little high for 2 walls and I was curious if anyone thought the quote was in the right ball park. I usually see good advice on here, so I thought I'd throw it out for some feedback. Appreciate your advice.

Thank you.

• aidan_m
    13 years ago

You're totally welcome for the advice.

The scope of work is still not clear, so it is difficult to tell if the price is reasonable. The materials alone could range anywhere from $2K to $10K or more depending on what kind of windows and slider you get.

You need to start by spec'ing out windows.

• mike13
    13 years ago

Most patios are not sufficient to function as a "foundation". It may be fine supporting a few posts supporting some relatively light weight roof-like materials like metal but usually not sufficient for a finished residential space.

Without more specifics it is hard to comment much further except to say that to get an additional 180 sq ft of finished space for $13K works out to $72/sq ft which is not bad for most parts of the country. Just the addional HVAC work could be several thousand dollars.