Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I go over my semi solid stained deck with another semi solid?

Posted by sonaliagrawal (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 15, 10 at 10:30

I have an older deck - cedar/redwood, which was stained with an oil based semi solid Cabot stain 3-4 years ago by the previous owners. It is a dark dark brown, I think Cordovan Brown is the color name. Some of the decking boards were replaced earlier in the summer as they were cracking.

The deck is about 250 sq ft, with about 40 ft of linear wooden railing. It is an upper level deck. The deck is also in full sun and gets heavy rains during the winters (nor cal weather).

Here is what I have done:
- pressure washed
- given a light sanding with a random orbit sander at 80 grit. Note that this has not gotten all the older stain of as I did a light sanding.

My question is - can I go over this with a Cabot semi solid stain now? Or do I need to get some deck preserving folks out to get the old stain out altogether. Should I use stain stripper too before I get to re-staining it?

Thank you for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I go over my semi solid stained deck with another semi so

According to the product brochure for Cabot Semi Solid stain it says "Do not use on decks." I would suggest contacting Cabot technical support for further advice.

Marty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here