Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Existing porch conv. spare room buried gas line

Posted by Turbogus (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 10:25

Greetings everyone from Oregon, a nice place to visit, 200 billion slugs can't be wrong.
My wife and I just bought our first home built back in '68. Like many in this neighborhood, it has/had a large back concrete porch. Ours at some point was converted into a spare room. Now the previous owner had died, leading to the family selling this home. So not only did no one had any knowledge of this improvement, no permits were found in the disclosure process.
Looking to plant a couple of trees or building a fence for more privacy, we called 811 to arrange for the 'call before you dig' procedure. It was found that the gas feed line to the meter was underneath the slab. It took some doing to convince the Gas Co. that we did not build this patio conversion to spare room. Speaking with them on the phone the tell me they've planned to move the meter. Trouble is they may be thinking of moving it further away to the opposite corner of the home from our only gas driven device~the gfa heater. In our prior residence in the next town we never used the heat as the home was heated by means of ceiling heat which in effect not only failed to heat the rooms but ran up our electric bills initially before we gave up on it. So we're accustomed to cold temps in our homes despite having then to contend with the infamous Oregon mold. Excavation that I did last weekend showed the gas line disappearing under the concrete slab, but it seems to be in a dirt channel rather than encased in concrete, is this my saving grace? What options have I? These may be simplistic questions but being a 1st time homeowner I'm a little lost.
Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid for any responses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Existing porch conv. spare room buried gas line

Seems our water heater was mfd. in Dec of '96. Given it's age and lack of care (the P.O. was very advanced in years) I'm guessing that this h/w is at the end of it's service life. We're addressing a gas line right now that the P.O. partially covered when they roughly built a porch in the back yard, since the gas co is flipping out we may ultimately go with a gas W/H depending on what we learn in the meantime.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here