Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenstl_gw

New Deck wood order

kenstl
17 years ago

Ok, I just ordered all of my material from George at East Teak (very good to work with by the way, thanks George), and I am contemplating my decision to use clips on the 3/4" decking on a portion of the deck. (I will try to post some pics).

Deck off of the house is 12' x 18' non covered, and then a 15' x 15' screened in porch which is attached to the non covered deck.

I am using IPE 1x6 TG in the screened in area, and 3/4" with ss Ipe clips on the open deck. I did not want to use 5/4 due to the difference in height of the two woods, and considered using TG on the open deck but I was worried about the exposed deck and TG material.

The decks are 12" to 24" off of the ground. The area gets some mid day sun, but not a ton. The open deck is blocked by the house and the screened porch structure slightly, so the open deck will only get a few hours of direct sun a day.

John, I know you have used TG on open decks, but everyone else cries foul. Is it the sun or the water that would cause the most issues for an exposed TG deck?

ps, the deck is level, ie no drop off for run off.

Ken

Comments (2)