Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zver11

IPE deck problem

zver11
10 years ago

I installed IPE boards (5/4x6") on my deck face screwing(and countersunk) into pressure treated joists (2 8x2.5" SS trimhead screws/board each crossing)

The boards seem to have come loose and make a loud creaking noise when I walk on the deck--worst on very hot sunny days.

Any ideas to fix this?

Comments (6)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Use regular SS deck screws not trim head, the movement of the deck boards is pulling the screw and extending the hole making the board loose. Trim screw are NOT for decking, they are for trim!

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by millworkman on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 13:49

• zver11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These were trimhead DECK screws. I had heard they were commonly used for IPE.

• aidan_m
    10 years ago

I can tell you without asking, you drilled the pilot hole into the joist. When pilot drilling Ipe, it is very important to only drill through the IPE, not into the joist at all.

The reason for this is that IPE needs a pilot hole the same size as the screw threads. Smaller pilot hole will break off the screw in IPE, so the pilot hole is oversized.

In the pine or fir joist, the pilot hole is bad, especially since it is oversized. The screw threads do not have enough meat left to grab hold of. The screw will drive into the PT joist wothout any pilot hole. The screw, driven into the virgin PT softwood without a pilot hole, is going to hold much better.

• zver11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pilot holes drilled using standard countersink bit designed for screw(smartbit). If pilot hole entered PT board, it would be very short distance.

• aidan_m
    10 years ago

" If pilot hole entered PT board, it would be very short distance."

That may not have been good enough. The key is to set the depth of the pilot drill to the exact thickness of the decking, so the pilot hole does not drill into the joist at all.

An issue with the PT Joists, is the joists shrink as they dry out. A screw that is set flush with the surface will protrude from the surface as the joist shrinks from drying. The result is the screw seems to have loosened, or pulled out from the hole. In my experience, this is more often the joists shrinking and expanding from the seasons, rather than the screw actually pulling loose. Try tightening the screws with a hand driver. If they're too tight to turn by hand, then the joist shrinkage is likely the culprit, and not the pilot holes.

To tighten the screws back down, you'll need a heavy person and a small block of wood for them to step on, to concentrate the load as necessary.