Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitpat_gw

question about fencing

pitpat
9 years ago

Hi, I know this isn't a fencing forum but I couldn't find one here or in the garden section that seemed appropriate. I hope someone here can give me some guidance.

I am preparing to replace a wood fence around my small suburban Chicago property. We're looking at a basic solid flat top, as that is what we have now (old and falling down). My next-door-neighbor (who is a bit anxious about this) told me to be sure to use a fence company that bring in pre-cut wood instead of a company that cuts the wood on-site. She said she went with the latter for her opposite side fence and that that is why her boards aren't even. I am wondering if there is any merit to this or if this is just a case of a layperson mistakenly attributing a poor result to the wrong reason. I mean, the wood has to be cut somewhere, so why would it be more even if it's pre-cut? Is pre-cut wood always precision-cut? If it's cut on-site, couldn't they still do a good job? Is this more an issue of "make sure you go with someone reliable" instead of "make sure you follow this cutting rule?" The 2 places I picked off of Angie's List have great reviews, and they both cut the wood on-site. We are going to get a bid from one more company, but I don't really want this "rule" to be the main determining factor in our decision if it's not a hard-and-fast rule.
TIA!
And if there is a more appropriate forum in which I should post this, please let me know.

Comments (8)

• emma
    9 years ago

I would think the installing the fence is the problem, not the cutting. My husband put up a string to be sure our fence was even. What ever you do don't use treated wood.

Talk to more than one contractor.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Tue, Sep 30, 14 at 16:34

• pitpat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

She said her boards weren't cut evenly, though. Of course, maybe they *were* cut evenly and what she is seeing is an installation problem. As far as installation goes, we will have to cross our fingers that our choice of contractors is right! Either they'll do a good job or they won't. But does anyone know about the cutting issue?

• greg_2010
    9 years ago

It's an installer problem.

• pitpat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think we should do OK then. I went back to Angie's List and found several companies with a lot of great reviews, many of whom have done work in my town (somehow I had missed some of these in my first search). I have THREE more I want to call now!!

Thanks for the responses. I know if we go with a company that cuts on-site my NDN will be concerned, but if I can reassure her that I have vetted them thoroughly maybe that will help. I think she is sad to see the fence go, but one portion of it (not by her yard) blew apart/down in a storm, both gates have fallen apart, and the boards themselves are wearing. I love an old weathered fence, but it's time for it to go.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Ask for and check references, Angie's List is not necessarily the end all be all it is made out to be........

• emma
    9 years ago

My husband and I did most of our home improvements and the ones we did not do we called local companies who had been in business for years. I had a fear of losing money with someone I did not know. The companies I have dealt with in the last few years don't ask for money until the job is finished. A friend of the family needed a roofer and went with the roofer to buy shingles because he didn't know the him. He wanted to make sure the guy didn't take the money and run. So the guy took the shingles and ran. It's funny now but it wasn't when it happened.

• emma
    9 years ago

I would use a local company. I use companies that have been in business for years and never had a problem.

• splats
    9 years ago

EmmaR or anybody - why "don't use pressure treated wood"?