Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferusey

Deck Privacy(Bergen County,NJ)

jenniferusey
13 years ago

I am rebuilding a 425sqft deck in Bergen County,NJ...Unfortunately,it's NJ and neighboring houses are VERY CLOSE. I am tossing around the latest generation of composite decking(with the PVC coating on top to supposedly reduce fading)-Trex,Certainteed,Timbertech,etc... As strange as it might sound,I'm looking for a way to attach a 6 or 7' matte vinyl fence (w simple post cap)to the railing for privacy....without it looking rigged.. the 'fence' would be on two sides of the deck with a classic colonial railing w a square cap on the stairs and 3rd side of the deck.

The dilemma lies in that the railing system for any of these product lines is very pricey. I don't want to drop a lot of money into 'nice' railing and then have a rigged looking privacy panel attached to the outside of my 4x4's..The only thought I have is possibly taking a tall 4x4,sleeving it,and attaching the fence to it w horizontal support added so it meets code.

My idea of the vinyl fence freaks my carpenter out.(who btw is old school and skilled) obviously it ruins the beauty of his railing install.lol

Obviously the vinyl fence alone will not pass inspection(bc it is not rated as a guard rail for a second floor deck) AND I don' want to use PT 2x4's and have to stain or paint them every few years. I hate lattice,curtains,and am not going to put up evergreens on the deck for privacy.

Does anyone know of a synthetic(matte white finish) material I can use to make a simple support system(must be structurally rated)for this fencing to be attached...OR just have any suggestions for me???

I know 'fence on the deck' sounds crazy to some,but if you live in NJ just outside NYC you will understand my dilemma. Spending a gazillion dollars on a deck and not having privacy is IMHO a waste of money.

Comments (4)